PDA

View Full Version : cable modem works w/ live cd, doesn't after HD install

scramble
12-28-2003, 10:41 PM
My RCA cable modem worked great when using the live cd. I installed from the live cd to my hard drive and the modem no longer works. I have tried netcardconfig, ifconfig, and pump. I also tried network card configuration under the knoppix menu.
When using netcardconfig it lists eth0 and eth1. I tried dhcp broadcast on both, no joy. By the way, the cable modem hooks up by USB.
Thanks

scramble
12-31-2003, 10:29 PM
That last sentence about a USB connectioin said it all. I picked up a patch cable today and it worked.
:D

Harry Kuhman
01-01-2004, 01:53 AM
That last sentence about a USB connectioin said it all. I picked up a patch cable today and it worked.
:D
What are you telling us? It seems like you're now connecting with a NIC and it works fine; but that still doesn't seem to explain why Knoppix worked fine off the CD with the USB interface but not after being installed to the hard drive. I don't use a USB modem, but personally I think all of these things that seem to stop working after Knoppix is installed to the hard drive need further work. If knoppixc is going to bother to continue to support the option to install to hard drive, then it should install and work properly. Otherwise it just continues to support the impression that Linux installs are much more difficult than Windows installs.