PDA

View Full Version : HELP!: Writing to the temp directory (/tmp) failed ...

Arbiter
12-29-2003, 10:08 PM
I've tried tampering with Knoppix 3.3 (from 19/11/03) burned a CD with it, and put in a script (which worked in the old Knoppix 3.2) that creates /home/knoppix and copies some of my files from the cd to /home/knoppix on startup. But as I understand, K 3.3 already has that directory at startup. Could this script be the cause of this error? And if not, what could?

Error
---

The Following installation problem was detected while trying to start KDE:

Writing to the temp directory (/tmp) failed with the error 'Permission denied'

KDE is unable to start

---

Any input would be appreciated

Best regards,
Arbiter

ignuu2
12-30-2003, 06:02 PM
I think I need more info. Check the permissions on the file that has the error. Try and figure out who owns it and who can write to it. It seems like a simple problem and I bet you can start by chmoding the heck out of it say a simple chmod -R 777 , after you have made a backup of the original that you can replace and seeing if that works. I don't really understand what you are trying to do but when the computer complains about being able to write somewhere either it does not exist is full or your user can't write to that FileSystem

good luck

IgnuU2

Stephen
12-30-2003, 09:44 PM
I think I need more info. Check the permissions on the file that has the error. Try and figure out who owns it and who can write to it. It seems like a simple problem and I bet you can start by chmoding the heck out of it say a simple chmod -R 777 , after you have made a backup of the original that you can replace and seeing if that works. I don't really understand what you are trying to do but when the computer complains about being able to write somewhere either it does not exist is full or your user can't write to that FileSystem

good luck

IgnuU2

I believe that you need chmod 1777 if it is the /tmp directory.