PDA

View Full Version : Lilo config please

BillS
12-30-2003, 02:18 AM
Folks;
I did a HDD install oh 3.3. Since I already had a system and LILO on the disk, I dis not install LILO again. Unfortunately, I was not given the values (especially the 'append's) that should be in the new entry in the lilo.conf. The only one I used was "lang=en".

As a result, I can't burn CDs (how do we get here from there you may ask?). My CD-RW is IDE and is given device 'hdc' during discovery (which is not what any application seems to expect). All the docs in the faq talk about SCSI / emulated SCSI devices. There are no SCSI mappings in 'dmesg'. The the string scsi only appears once in the dmesg.
----
root@knop33# dmesg |grep scsi
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
root@knop33#
----
The '/usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup' refers to 'modconf' in step 6. It then directs the user of a selection that does not exist ("kernel/drivers/scsi"). I chose the simpler "drivers/scsi". Then load two non-existant modules of 'sg' and 'ide-scsi' (neither in the list).

At this point I lost faith in this procedure and backed out all the changes made in steps 1-5.

?? With an IDE hardrive and IDE CD-RW, how do I burn a cd?

BillS

P.S. I ftp'ed the knoppix.iso to my FreeBSD machine in about 70 seconds (ya, 105 MB/sec) and burned it from there. And It worked!!!

baldyeti
12-30-2003, 08:07 AM
I guess you just need to re-run lilo after editing your /etc/lilo.conf with SCSI emulation enabled for your IDE devices. See here (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.knoppix/2567).