PDA

View Full Version : Black screen, tried suggestions given here.

dskippy
12-30-2003, 03:09 AM
When I run Knoppix on this Hewlett Packard machine, I get a typical boot up until I run X at which point I get a black screen. I have tried the following suggestions found on this forum.

failsafe
expert (looks like from the expert output nv is detected anyway)
knoppix xmodule=nv
knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA
knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA xmodule=nv
knoppix 2 (this works fine but I get no X. When I run startx I get the same black screen)

This video card is an NVIDA riva TNT2 model 64 (HP) and it is not an onboard video card.

Stephen
12-30-2003, 04:10 AM
When I run Knoppix on this Hewlett Packard machine, I get a typical boot up until I run X at which point I get a black screen. I have tried the following suggestions found on this forum.

failsafe
expert (looks like from the expert output nv is detected anyway)
knoppix xmodule=nv
knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA
knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA xmodule=nv
knoppix 2 (this works fine but I get no X. When I run startx I get the same black screen)

This video card is an NVIDA riva TNT2 model 64 (HP) and it is not an onboard video card.

You may want to try the noddc and xvrefresh=60 cheat codes as well. And the frame buffer by using fb1024x768 (choose your screen size wanted) at the start of the line instead of knoppix.

jrsath0me
12-30-2003, 02:27 PM
I'm having the same issue wtih a Nvidia gforce 4 mx 420. I think it may be related to the power mangement because when I press the power button that starts the shut down process I can see a screen for a few moments unitil the power is killed. My screen isn't exactly blank as it is not even on as if there is no power from the video card, but it only happens after when X runs. I'm not a linux expert, so I don't know how to fix this, but thought I would add additional info.

Stephen
12-30-2003, 09:15 PM
I'm having the same issue wtih a Nvidia gforce 4 mx 420. I think it may be related to the power mangement because when I press the power button that starts the shut down process I can see a screen for a few moments unitil the power is killed. My screen isn't exactly blank as it is not even on as if there is no power from the video card, but it only happens after when X runs. I'm not a linux expert, so I don't know how to fix this, but thought I would add additional info.

Try the noapm, noacpi or noapic cheat codes (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) you may also want to try the noddc to stop the detection of the monitor as well.