PDA

View Full Version : Konqueror vs Mozilla browser

spydie
12-30-2003, 04:49 AM
I like using Konqueror to browse the net, but there is somethings that don't seem right.

For example:
I can not use Konqueror to login at www.candlepowerforums.com
It will not even take me to the login page, it takes me to some other page on there site. I click a link on that page and it's say's can't find login.

I can login to candlepowerforums using Mozilla, but it seems slow.

There are a number of other little thing I have run into, but this is the latest one.

Is there some option I should turn on or what?

I'm really enjoying running Knoppix from the HD :) :)

Thanks in advance for the help

Stephen
12-30-2003, 05:22 AM
I like using Konqueror to browse the net, but there is somethings that don't seem right.

For example:
I can not use Konqueror to login at www.candlepowerforums.com
It will not even take me to the login page, it takes me to some other page on there site. I click a link on that page and it's say's can't find login.

I can login to candlepowerforums using Mozilla, but it seems slow.

There are a number of other little thing I have run into, but this is the latest one.

Is there some option I should turn on or what?

I'm really enjoying running Knoppix from the HD :) :)

Thanks in advance for the help

It wanted to set a cookie on my machine when I tried to login with an non-existant account so you may want to check to see what the settings are for that domain in the cookie management. Try clicking on this link it gives me the login page:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/logout.php?Cat=

spydie
12-30-2003, 06:03 AM
I did not make any changes and it seems to work ok now.
Thanks,

Cuddles
12-30-2003, 12:27 PM
Spydie, I also used Konqueror a lot, and found one other issue, at least with my install. Konqueror, when I reply to a post, especially here, refused to include Topic History below where you type your reply. It caused me to not be able to refer back to previous posts, in my own posts.

I think it was TearingHairOut that pointed me towards Mozilla, and stated that it might be a "bug" within Knoqueror. From that point on, I have always used Mozilla. It has the same look and feel of M$ Internet Explorer, and a lot of controls on cookies, and pop-up stuff. Very Cool :D

One minor problem that I did find though. Knoppix tends to like using Konqueror when it is alowed to. Case in point: KMail. When I clicked on a web address supplied in an attachment within KMail, it always fires off a Konqueror window browser with the addy. So, when I get those "Someone has replied to a post you are watching" emails, I always get a Konqueror web window, as well as the Mozilla window I already have open.

I think each program has its good and bad points, but I like the Mozilla for its stronger controls.

Cuddles

turbine
12-30-2003, 03:54 PM
I am able to block ALL popups with Mozilla. This is extremely important to me in a browser. I haven't seen how to do this with Konqueror yet. Therefore I prefer Mozilla.

aay
12-30-2003, 09:28 PM
I am able to block ALL popups with Mozilla. This is extremely important to me in a browser. I haven't seen how to do this with Konqueror yet. Therefore I prefer Mozilla.

Try this.

Settings > Configure Konqueror > Java & Java Script > Java Script tab > Java Script Web Popups Policy > Smart

It should nab most if not all of your popups.

spydie
12-31-2003, 09:42 PM
When I view this web site and click on the book to view the pages inside I can not see the pages when using konqueror, but it works fine in mozilla.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764547100/qid=1072902655/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-2580744-4504863

Any idea why that is?

Kreator
01-18-2004, 01:18 AM
Both browsers open some pages e.g. google, t1msn but i can't open mor sites than these i'm using a shared conection to internet in a LAN Shared with wxp can anybody help me? gain works correctly and all the sites responde to the browsers but cant get the pages.

spydie
01-18-2004, 02:30 AM
I started using Firebird and it's great.
I don't have any of the problems I had with other browsers.

When I reply to a post, especially here, it does include Topic History below where you type your reply.

Check them out,

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/

champagnemojo
01-18-2004, 02:40 AM
Yeah, Firebird is the best...I use it in Linux and that other OS as well. :D

apt-get install mozilla-firebird

Sendak
03-10-2004, 01:35 PM
It is called Mozilla Firefox now, so do 'apt-get install mozilla-firefox' (after you have done 'apt-get update' of course)

I did not like Konqueror as the default browser. To change that setting I used:
update-alternatives --config x-www-browser