PDA

View Full Version : Xine got better from 3.1 to3.3

ignuu2
12-30-2003, 05:37 PM
Hello. How is everyone?

I have had a debian only home network for some time now with both my home PC's running knoppix 3,1 hd install and my firewall box running a scaled down debian. Now at work I just convinced my boss to let me flush windows and I installed knoppix 3.3. Once the HD install was finished I noticed that the version of Xine that comes with 3.3 is able to handel all the various file formats while the version I run at home struggles with all but the simples avi's. For the rest I use kplayer/mplayer. This in itself is not a big deal but Xine is so much nicer than kplayer and I would love to upgrade the version at home so that it could be as powerfull as the one on knoppix 3.3

Does anyone know how I can upgrade my version on xine on a hd install of knx 3.1 to the one used on 3.3. Keep in mind I already tried the apt-get method and even with the apt-get -t unstable install xine I get the you have the lates version responce.

I thought it might just be the way the .xine config files now weight the codecs, as I installed the w32codec pack on all the machines, but when I copied the /home/user/.xine config files from one machine to another xine remained as bad at handeling media as ever. Any ideas?

Thanks

aay
12-30-2003, 09:31 PM
Hmm. You might want to go to the Xine site or use google to look for some updated debs. You can also search for them at http://www.apt-get.org

Other than that you can always try compiling it yourself.