PDA

View Full Version : persistent bad code present with only the live CD/no HD???

midwestdiscuss
12-30-2003, 07:24 PM
To the list;
I have persistent bad code with the live CD. I have been hacked and now what? How can I purge the bad code and replace with clean code?
I am guessing that the binary editor can be used for this but where to I find the clean code and then insert it? Is it also possible to check the sums of these files for the existance of additional strings?
Any idea how the code can persist after power disconnects on a already written CD that can't be written to? No HD in the computer, so now what???

let me know

thanks again

midwestdiscuss@lycos.com

Stephen
12-30-2003, 10:02 PM
To the list;
I have persistent bad code with the live CD. I have been hacked and now what? How can I purge the bad code and replace with clean code?
I am guessing that the binary editor can be used for this but where to I find the clean code and then insert it? Is it also possible to check the sums of these files for the existance of additional strings?
Any idea how the code can persist after power disconnects on a already written CD that can't be written to? No HD in the computer, so now what???

let me know

thanks again

midwestdiscuss@lycos.com

It might help if you told us what kind of code you are talking about and what you speak of is impossible you cannot write to a CD that is already burnt and finalized. The code (if it exists) had to have been inserted prior to you burning the CD so my question is where did you get the ISO image you burnt and just what are you talking about here?

BTW your *******'s that you put at the bottom of your posts are damn annoying when you put so many there that you make the page scroll I have edited your posts to stop this from happening please use less of them in the furture.

midwestdiscuss
01-01-2004, 12:32 AM
To the list;
Now if anyone wants to state that you can't be hacked on knoppix let them come up and say so
from the start. I will outright state that you can be hacked in several ways. Let me elaborate a little.

system settings: some devices can be messed with. like your CD-ROM can be given incorrect
IO parameters so it runs crappy, the resolution on your montors can be reset via a root access
to a shell remotely. Other devices will not configure.

operating system: red hat systems are hackable via kernel panic bad code settings, the
debian is to hack the X window startup for live CD's. Knoppix can overcome this but other
live CD's can't.

desktops: the icons sometimes disappear for the floppy and the mnt/floppy will disappear or the file will be deleted from the system. Using RPM does not work and it will ask for a root password in order to install, except none ever work.

shells: can't find files, won't execute commands. apt-get doesn't work. installing and mounting does not work. Opening and reading files does not work

browsers: internet connections can be tricky and are able to be blocked with bad code to
the router. I am able to overcome this by hooking up a hard drive and going online very briefly
and then shutdown, disconnect the HD and rebooting with Knoppix and I can usually get my
router and modem to find sites otherwise they won't connect and I get error messages.

bin and sbin files: will not execute

numerous other problems

I can offer more but I was surprised that browser/ desktop/device and other settings do stay or persist even after you unplug the computer. I can state quite clearly that you do NOT start anew every time you reboot Knoppix or any live CD. I was amazed at this but it is true.

let me know what you think

thanks again

midwestdiscuss@lycos.com

arkaine23
01-01-2004, 12:59 AM
Interesting finds.

Using RPM does not work and it will ask for a root password in order to install, except none ever work.

For that, you should use alien to install rpm's. Also for actions in the GUI the require root privledges, you should first set a root password like this-

su
passwd root
[enter root's password twice]
then do the GUI thing that requires you to enter a root password and use the password you just set.

You can't really install anything unless you have the OS installed to the hard drive, though you can hack up some scripts to install from source code into your ramdisk temporarily.[/quote]

midwestdiscuss
01-03-2004, 12:11 AM
To the list;
I am wondering if anybody has a theory regarding the code?

What about these binary editors?

I saw a program called Kompare on a different live CD, can this be
a tool that can be used to compare files from source?

How is this done with vim, emac or this binary editor?

anyone understand this?

let me know

thanks again

midwestdiscuss@hotmail.com