PDA

View Full Version : Nortel vpn

ec
12-31-2003, 01:40 AM
I need, or rather a friend needs to login to work from home. live cd works for login to Cox cable modem, but how/where can he find out how to then login to a nortel vpn? I am clueless as I have never logged in to a business network nor nortel type vpn. He has the ?? userid and password(s)/whatever to do it in M$, but he wants to use knoppix to do work from home.

I looked around nortel's website, but got lost looking for any useful (that I recognized anyway) info.

TIA

Long live the KING
Long live Knoppix!!! :D :D

arkaine23
12-31-2003, 02:00 AM
Hmmm, he'll need to know the IP of the gateway he is connecting to. That will be in his Nortel Contivity client's config panel (same page where he enters his password). Then he'd need a VPN client on his live CD. I don't know if knoppix has one or not as I usually ssh when doing work remotely and have never used a VPN in Linux or Unix...

ec
12-31-2003, 02:19 AM
I know he knows the ip, but still need more info. Going over to his place tomorrow eve, hopefully something that works will be posted by then.

Again
TIA

rickenbacherus
12-31-2003, 07:20 AM
From what I have found there aren't alot of vpn clients for Linux. netlock has apparently created a vpn client for Nortel:

http://www.netlock.com/

$95 US- ouch!

But there is http://www.freeswan.org/

Linux FreeS/WAN: Linux Free S/WAN is an implementation of IPSEC and IKE for Linux. Free S/WAN is interoperable with most VPN implementations including OpenBSD VPN, FreeBSD VPN, NetBSD VPN, Cisco VPN Routers (1720, 2600, 3030, 3600, 4000, 4500, AS5300, 7200, 7500 and more), Nortel Contivity VPN switches, Raptor Firewall, Gauntlet firewall GVPN, Checkpoint Firewall-1, F-Secure VPN for Windows, Watchguard VPN, Xedia Access Point QVPN, PGP Mac and Windows Client, IRE Safenet SoftPK VPN client, Borderware Freegate and Timestep, Intel/Shiva LANrover, Sonicwall, Radguard VPN, Windows VPN clients, WinNT domains, and Win2k 2000 VPN.

I don't beleive it's in Knoppix however. Is a remaster in your future?

arkaine23
12-31-2003, 09:49 PM
Yup, looks like you should remaster a CD or install knoppix to a hard drive so you can install a vpn client. You might ask someone to add it to an existing custom version of knoppix....

rickenbacherus
01-02-2004, 09:47 PM
I've never used this distro myself but maybe this will help. http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6390#28964

ery
01-20-2004, 01:42 PM
I don't beleive it's in Knoppix however. Is a remaster in your future?

There is vpnc in Knoppix. I didnot install it after I installed Knoppix on my HD, so I suppose it is there.

But I could not make it work, yet, because to run vpnc we need the IPSec ID and password of the VPN server. For that, we should ask the administrator, which is not very helpful with this kind of information.

vpnc readme says that those information is available in vpn client for windows that is usually provided, and somehow we can extract the information out.

Still struggling here.