12-31-2003, 08:32 AM
AMD athlon xp 1700 +
with award bios

installed knoppix 3.3 on 40 gig HD
PRI master = HD
PRI slave = dvd
SEC master = CD-RW
SEC slave = none

When booting to HD, system freezes with the bios screen displaying. HD light is solid on. Never boots.

Any assistance on getting the system up and running ??
Cuddles on a WEBTV !!! :(

Cuddles
12-31-2003, 09:17 AM
Some more information, so i can get a faster answer...

Knoppix 3.3 Live CD booted fine, installed to HD fine, and when I rebooted to HD the first time, this is where I am at now, the lockup in bios to boot.

I did not change anything in the bios between install and boot. I have tried disabling almost everything in my bios, enabling everything in my bios. I am at a complete loss. I tried it with, and without power management.

I get my new system with a AMD 1.7 ghz proc, and I get stuck on booting, just my luck :(

Any ideas are extremely appreciated - short of telling me to install Windoze, that is.
Cuddles

baldyeti
12-31-2003, 09:38 AM
Are you certain it really freezes, I mean as opposed to lilo not being properly installed, and the machine not having a working boot loader anymore? What's the last thing you see displayed? Also, you might try connecting the DVD to the secondary IDE channel, thus leaving the HD on its own, but I don't think that's the problem if all worked well booting from the CD.

windos_no_thanks
12-31-2003, 10:37 AM
How about booting from the CD again and checking the lilo configuration ?

Cuddles
12-31-2003, 03:11 PM
oh no, don't tell me I mucked this up, but, i thought lilo was only used if you have, or need more than one os to boot?

I choose NO to using lilo, considering that the hd only has knoppix on it, why do i need lilo?

Don't tell me that lilo is "required", even if you are only using one os, linux.

pardon any typos, and non-caps here, the g/f uses one of these "dinky" keyboards on her webtv, and first thing is, i don't like webbie and her keyboard sticks, and lastly, i like my full-sided keyboard.

So, baldyeti and windos no thanks - let me guess, its back to install again, and this time i say 'yes' to lilo?

cuddles

baldyeti
12-31-2003, 04:02 PM
So, baldyeti and windos no thanks - let me guess, its back to install again, and this time i say 'yes' to lilo?
One boot loader is required, and lilo does the job. If you haven't customised your install yet, re-installing might be the easiest and fastest thing to do. Just do not forget to install lilo to MBR this time. Otherwise, we should be able to help you setup a minimal lilo config file if you tell us how you've partitioned your HD.

Cuddles
12-31-2003, 04:09 PM
Cuddles -=- admits -=- she has had a blonde "moment"

Thanks to both of you, I think the re-install is a good option, considering that i haven't even booted into debian for the first time yet. not too dificult to redo it at this time. hopefully, next boot will be in deb/knoppix 3.3 -=- btw - 3.3 looks sweet!!!!!!!

forever grateful,
cuddles