PDA

View Full Version : PPT iomega zip 250 drive NOT detected by Knoppix 3.2

RickAtWork9845
01-01-2004, 12:48 AM
Knoppix 3.2 is NOT detecting my parallel port Iomega Zip 250 drive during bootup.
The Zip 250 is connected, powered up, and has an IBM formatted 250Mb disk in it!
I added the following line to /etc/fstab
/dev/sda4 /mnt/zip auto noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
tried "root@ttyp0[etc]# mount /mnt/zip", but got this error message
mount: /dev/sda4 is not a valid block device
I tried to use my Zip 250 as a permanent home directroy and that is when I discovered Knoppix had dropped the ball. I will give MEPIS Linux a try to see if it detects the Zip 250.
Rick
:?: :?:

Drezliok
04-15-2004, 01:40 PM
I get the same error on many differnt Zip drives.

I have a IDE zip100 with a 100mb disk in it. It used to see my home directory in it but now on multible computers it won't see it or the home directory is corrupted. I have remade the home image many times but never works.

RockMumbles
04-16-2004, 03:50 AM
The ppt zip drive needs a module loaded before knoppix or any other linux can use it, try this if you are running from cd, boot knoppix using:
knoppix 2
which will start you up in console mode, then use this command:
modprobe imm
you should see knoppix detect the drive as /dev/sda and find partition sda4.

Now you should be able to run the persistent-home script manually (I can't tell you how to do that right now because I'm not running knoppix)

Then you would start KDE by using:
startx

HTH

~rock

RickAtWork9845
04-29-2004, 12:09 AM
Should I call you Rock, or Mr. Mumbles?
:?:
Anyways, thanks. Your modprobe suggestion worked!
:!:
The zip drive was seen as /dev/sda4.
However, the Knoppix "create permanent home directory" feature wants to use /dev/sda1, and thus does not work. Oh well.
Any suggestions?
:(
~~Rick

OErjan
04-29-2004, 09:57 AM
make /dev/sda1 a link to /dev/sda4, night be hard if the sda1 is in use though.

c_cinq
05-13-2004, 11:25 PM
can one do this(modprobe imm), while running from the livecd? Or is this an option avaliable to a user if knoppix is hd-insatlled?
I got this message when I did modprobe imm:

modprobe imm
/lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/scsi/imm.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/scsi/imm.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/scsi/imm.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/scsi/imm.o: insmod imm failed