PDA

View Full Version : Dialup: works from CD or as root, not otherwise

RobertB
01-01-2004, 08:23 AM
I just installed Knoppix 3.3 (from CDs purchased from TuxCDs.com), and I'm having the worst luck getting it to connect.

I'm able to connect to my ISP with no problems if I boot from the CD. But when I install to the hard drive, I can't connect as the Knoppix user. Or rather, I connect, but nothing happens. The graph displayed by the "details" button is flat, and the in/out byte count doesn't change beyond a few handshake bytes.

I've tried creating a new user (with adduser), in case I messed up the "Knoppix" user, but the new user can't even bring up KPPP for some reason. I click on the program, but nothing happens -- program appears to terminate quietly.

Meanwhile, root seems to work fine, either logged in or using the "Modem Dialer" option under "Network/Internet" from the pengin-in-a-circle toolbar icon.

Is there some sort of file permission problem, perhaps? If that's the problem, a chmod should take care of it (right?).

And it would be nice (though not essential) to get the new login working on the new login, just so I can have a clue. This is my first experience with Linux, and while I can see the power, I've still got to convince the rest of the local user community (that is, my wife and kids).

Thanks!

turbinater
01-01-2004, 11:05 PM
I can connect, but nothing happens.
As root:
/etc/init.d/ppp restartthen
/etc/init.d/pppstatus start

RobertB
01-02-2004, 06:39 PM
This morning, I tried to surf while logged in as root and got the same problem that the other users had been having! But the suggestion looks promising. I'll try it tonight and report back (the Linux box is at home, and I'm at work).

My wife described the Linux box as "you mean, the computer that doesn't work?" I don't think I've done a very good job of winning Linux converts at home.

RobertB
01-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attempt the fix. Upper Management (my wife) declared that I'd better put the modem back on the Windoze box so that our daughter could get her homework done. I'll have to try later... if I have any more problems, I'll post a new thread.

Thanks for your help!

sakiZ
12-20-2004, 06:45 PM
I've been reading the above threads. I have the exact same problem. I will try the fix when I get home.

This has to be some sort of bug. I mean one morning I boot up and suddenly I can't dial out in user mode.

Weird!!!!!

I am really considering just running the thing in root mode all the time. Gasp!!!! I am both "system administrator" and the only user of this at home. Should I live so dangerously? :-)

Good thing I'm dual booting XP and Linux.

Knoppix is good but not quite ready for Mom and Pop users.

sakiZ

lorddecker
01-25-2005, 10:24 PM
make sure your /dev/ttyS0 or whatever port your using is writeable by your user.

YvonneAndBob
01-27-2005, 04:11 AM
I too just installed Knoppix. As others have found, the browser and mail clients work fine in the root account, but they can't see the net in user accounts. I can't find a setting to tell them to use the modem for the connection. I tried the /etc/init.d/ppp start etc. fix, and that didn't work. All the ttys* devices have rw permission in all 3 slots. Any other ideas?

My wife, who, a few years ago was a UNIX system manager isn't very impressed!!

Thanks;
Bob

sakiZ
01-27-2005, 05:17 PM
I recently had to reinstall Knoppix. But I have not Yet created a root account for login.

So far, dial up in user mode works fine.

I think the problem is that modems are devices that can compromise security. If two accounts are created user and root, then root takes over as "owner" of that hardware.

For example, you are on line in root and without disconnecting, log in as user. Easy to do. Now the OS is in a quandry. You are now in user mode but still "on line". Or vice versa.

As far as the OS is concerned it has no way of knowing whether or not it is being compromised.

So when usere modes are created, the OS protects itself from security hacks by forcing you to give the root password at dialup time.

That is my take on it. Probably a more experienced user could give you a more techie answer.

sakiZ