PDA

View Full Version : Some trouble with Kernel 2.6 and ext3

debi
01-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Hi,
It happens very often what i am working with running kernel 2.6 and suddenly when i am opening the konqueror or any other file browser i get an error that says the filesystem is mounted read-only. :shock:
But 5 Minutes ago it worked. I then cant even shutdown any more because i only get something like:
ext3 error: filesystem is read-only.

What could this cause. Is there any known bug?

My Hardware:
HD: Western Digital wd1200jb
Promise 20265/20276 Chip

debi
01-03-2004, 11:34 AM
It seems not like it is a bug.
But i noticed the following then running an apt-get upgrade from console:

hda: read_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekCompleteError}
hda: read_intr: status=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound} LBAsect=234404853

But i only get in kernel 2.6

Is there any connection between this two problems?

Stephen
01-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Hi,
It happens very often what i am working with running kernel 2.6 and suddenly when i am opening the konqueror or any other file browser i get an error that says the filesystem is mounted read-only. :shock:
But 5 Minutes ago it worked. I then cant even shutdown any more because i only get something like:
ext3 error: filesystem is read-only.

What could this cause. Is there any known bug?

My Hardware:
HD: Western Digital wd1200jb
Promise 20265/20276 Chip

I never seen anything like that when using 2.6 on my testing drive which has ext3, on my "regular" install I use reiser on and I noticed a couple of problems with the dma I have the same drive as you for this one and the speed on the drive was about 30mb/sec whereas with 2.4.23 it is 55mb/sec and the sound with alsa has some weird skips in it when I switch desktops or resize windows in an application and with konqueror pages that will load fine in 2.4.23 will not load with 2.6 so I think there is some kind of strange problem with 2.6 final. Your post below the first line looks like the error you get when the drive is having problems with the dma I'm not sure about the second. I solved the problems by going back to the working 2.4.23 I have and have no problems with that kernel. This post is not much help for your problem other than that I have seen some problems that I can track to the 2.6 as well.

debi
01-04-2004, 11:08 AM
Until i cant solve that problem i am using 2.4.23. But 2.6 is really faster in starting applications and the normal working.
But the weird is i tested also the speed of the harddisk and i get 46 mb/sec in 2.4 but only 3mb/sec in 2.6. That would be a little slow.