PDA

View Full Version : Starlink Knoppix

twisted
01-03-2004, 02:09 AM
Hello i downloaded the starlink version of knoppix and o have no clue how to burn it. What file would i select as the ISO image. How would i burn it? I am really lost here and any help would be appreciated. Thanks

budhy
01-03-2004, 05:30 PM
What do you mean with 'star link version of Knoppix'?

windos_no_thanks
01-03-2004, 05:52 PM
What do you mean with 'star link version of Knoppix'?
I bet you didn't google before posting ? :-D
The first hit for starlink knoppix:
http://www.starlink.rl.ac.uk/Download/

To twisted:
You probably would get more help if you told us what burner software (and OS) you are using.
I guess the iso you'd want to burn is this:
ftp://ftp.starlink.rl.ac.uk/pub/ussc/cdrom/test/2003a-starboot-beta1.iso

twisted
01-03-2004, 10:20 PM
thanks windos for pointing me towards the iso, i dont know what i downloaded?

Anywase i am using XP and i would be burning with NERO.

thanks

windos_no_thanks
01-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Ok, I've never used Nero myself but I've seen some posts here that it can fail to write iso images correctly (amazing, that should be the simplest task for some burner software) , you might want to look around for some more info on that before trying.

Markus
01-03-2004, 11:20 PM
When you start nero, press cancel on the wizard.
Then choose under the File-menu -> burn image.
Browse to the iso file and select it.
Check "disc at once" .
Then press burn (or write).

I'm writing this out of memory while not being in windows right now, but there is a FAQ on burning knoppix with nero under:
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqDownloading

twisted
01-04-2004, 01:19 AM
alrite so i downloaded the iso but what it is, is a folder with a bunch of files in it? Within the file there is no iso file? I am lost

windos_no_thanks
01-04-2004, 12:31 PM
alrite so i downloaded the iso but what it is, is a folder with a bunch of files in it? Within the file there is no iso file? I am lost
Not sure what you mean :-/ ftp://ftp.starlink.rl.ac.uk/pub/ussc/cdrom/test/2003a-starboot-beta1.iso
is just one big (about 700MB) file. Download it to some folder (right click and "save as.." or whatever applies to your browser, I assume you know how to download files) and follow Markus' directions. I downloaded, burned and booted it myself. It seems to work.

twisted
01-05-2004, 01:24 AM
when i download it i get it as a .rar

windos_no_thanks
01-05-2004, 07:36 AM
when i download it i get it as a .rar
Really ? I'd be interested to know how you manage to do that. What software are you downloading with and are you using the link mentioned earlier or something else ?

twisted
01-05-2004, 01:36 PM
I used the link u gave me above and i am just using the built in download manager with XP.

windos_no_thanks
01-05-2004, 02:32 PM
Never used XP myself, does it have a download manager separate from the browser ?

twisted
01-06-2004, 01:33 AM
no,

i am so confused, is there anyway that i can make these files into one ISO

windos_no_thanks
01-06-2004, 08:45 AM
no,

i am so confused, is there anyway that i can make these files into one ISO

Probably not. If the built-in browser is so screwed up it can't download a simple ISO image without turning it into a .rar file (I still don't believe that is possible) then how about getting yourself a decent browser first ? :-) Like this one: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/mozilla1.5/mozilla-win32-1.5-installer.exe