PDA

View Full Version : Install Knoppix withou bootable device like floppy or CD

jrsath0me
01-03-2004, 05:40 AM
I have a laptop that does not have a bootable device other than the HD. Currently windoes is running on the PC. I'm trying to come up with a way to install the full version to the HD without booting into Knoppix or using a floppy. I do have the ability to create separate partitions in windows and have a USB CD rom (it doesn't boot) that I can using while windows is running.

windos_no_thanks
01-03-2004, 03:07 PM
I'm not aware of any windoze stuff that can read the cloop compressed stuff from the CD (might be possible if you have cygwin installed but even so probably tricky) so you probably have to find some way boot the live Knoppix somehow first.

debi
01-03-2004, 06:24 PM
If you are connected to a lan you can try to install it over the network.
There should be a way

Onetrack
01-03-2004, 06:50 PM
Hi I did this already as my laptop (Sharp Actius A290) also doesn't have a cdrom (its a sub-note)

What I did to install was:

1: Find a pc with a cdrom drive and boot the knoppix cd
2: connect the laptop to a crossover cable, and the other side to the pc
3: once knoppix has loaded, turn on the terminal services feature
4: boot the laptop, set the bios to boot from network, if your bios doesn't
support this, simply get a boot rom on floppy from
www.rom-o-matic.net

Once the laptop boots, you should have a fully working knoppix from the cdrom running on the pc, then you can just run the install scripts and away you go.

Bam, an installed OS without using a local cd.

Cheers,
One

baldyeti
01-03-2004, 07:47 PM
In 2004, I wish people requesting help will start taking the time to detail their situation and goal :roll:

If you'te under win9x/ME and your C: drive is fat, you can copy a knoppix boot diskette to some directory and start the kernel via loadlin. Knoppix should then boot as if from diskette/cd, and you can install as usual. Obviously if you have no other bootable device than your HD, you'll have to be extra careful when installing lilo.

SolarCat
07-16-2004, 06:55 PM
Yes! I'll have to try this when I get home. I was getting worried because my Sharp UM30 wouldn't boot from the CD, it kept complaining about "operating system not found, booting to (limited) command line". If I can boot off of a network and then install onto the laptop from there, that makes my life a whole lot happier. Here's hoping it works, and the CD drive, not the laptop, was the problem.