PDA

View Full Version : HELP ME!!!

sms4001
01-03-2004, 06:27 PM
ok guys.. i dont know what to do here.. my win xp comuputer is freaking out and wont start.. and i am using knoppix right now.. but im stuck here.. beacuse.. i cant read or write so i cant edit my boot.ini file to start in safe mode and if i try to go to read/write mode it says.. that it wont do it cus its a NTFS format.. is there anything you acn do for that? are you allowed to copy from a floppy disk and overwrite stuff? idono.. and wine wont open my system recovery thing! :( any help? ps. ive never used linux before so .. keep it simple lol ;P

ironstorm
01-03-2004, 08:10 PM
Linux is incapable of writing to NTFS...

You can:
a) use knoppix to copy your data off to some other computer, and then reinstall windows and copy your data back

b) call MS or your computer vendor and ask them for help

c) use the Windows XP CD's recovery console (go find a windows website for help on that)

Cheers, and thank you for calling technical support...

andymadigan
01-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Could you please describe exactly what the computer is doing. Does the Windows XP "splash" appear (Should say Windows XP in the middle of the screen with a progress bar below)? If you don't see a splash screen, here's what to do:

1. Insert your Windows XP Setup/Recovery CD (preferably setup)
2. When you are prompted whether to enter setup or run recovery press R.

3. Press C
4. You may be asked to login, do so (it will be a text prompt).
5. Type C:, then type CD \,
6. Type fixmbr
7. Type fixboot
8. Reboot and remove the CD

raduen
01-03-2004, 11:27 PM
try this link...is about writing to NTFS.
http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/CVS.html.pl#debian

sn0wflake
01-04-2004, 01:01 AM
So when is Captive included in the Knoppix ISO?

I thought Knoppix could read and write NTFS. How silly of me :cry:

sms4001
01-05-2004, 01:54 AM
Could you please describe exactly what the computer is doing. Does the Windows XP "splash" appear (Should say Windows XP in the middle of the screen with a progress bar below)? If you don't see a splash screen, here's what to do:

1. Insert your Windows XP Setup/Recovery CD (preferably setup)
2. When you are prompted whether to enter setup or run recovery press R.

3. Press C
4. You may be asked to login, do so (it will be a text prompt).
5. Type C:, then type CD \,
6. Type fixmbr
7. Type fixboot
8. Reboot and remove the CD

ok that is kind of what i was just about to ask.. lol ok i did the whole recovery console thing.. and i have this posted on the knoppix fourms also and a guy over there said to go to the recovery console and type fixmbr and then fixboot so when i typed in fixMBR it said this "non standard or invalid master boot record fixmbr may damage your partition tables if you proceed this could cause all the partitions in the current hard disk to become inacessible if you are not having problems acessing yoru HD do not continue"
so i didnt do that but i did do fixboot and now everytime i boot up instead of looping through the f8 thing ( i cant even do it now) cus it says this "ntlpr(i think thats it.. i cant read my shorthand) is missing press a key to restart boot failure: system halted" then if i hit a key it just freezes.. ok and one other thing.. what exactly IS a partition? is that my actual hd? or what? like could i delete my partition i have right now and still have files? or what exactly is it? cus if i try and reintall windows again or something it says that my partition dosent have enough space and i have to reformat it in order to reinstall this is what it says
""partition 1 (fat) 190780mb (3 mb free) "
im confused on what that means.. beacuse i have like 26gigs free space left on my comp..

sms4001
01-05-2004, 07:06 AM
oh god... ok um guys... so you just read i did that fixboot thing.. but now im on my computer right nwo ( on knoppix) and now when i go to my HD nothing is there.. everything is just unknown files types and has the name of like three little box type things.. wtf just happned?!?! did i lose all my files or somthing? what exactly does fixboot do!?!? please god tell me i did not lose everything