PDA

View Full Version : HP Laserjet 5m printer problem

jmclain25
02-08-2003, 05:38 PM
Hello,

I tried setting up my HP laserjet 5m printer using the printer wizard where everything seems to go smoothly. The printer is detected correctly. However, when I try to print a test page, i see the "processing job" report on the printer screen, but nothing is printed.
I've tried both of the printer drivers that are displayed, (foomatic + Postscript) and (foomatic + hpijs). The hpijs driver doesn't even get the printer to display the above message on the printer.
This is using CUPS.

I've also tried starting cupsd from the console, as per another thread, but I get a message "child exited with status 1!"

This is on a Dell optiplex gx1 P-III 450 parallel port attached local printer.

thank you,

Joel

sblock
02-11-2003, 02:30 PM
However, when I try to print a test page, i see the "processing job" report on the printer screen, but nothing is printed.
I've tried both of the printer drivers that are displayed, (foomatic + Postscript) and (foomatic + hpijs). The hpijs driver doesn't even get the printer to display the above message on the printer.
This is using CUPS.

I have the same Problem with the HP Color Inkjet CP1160 (Foomatic + hpijs).

stonent
02-14-2003, 10:04 AM
The 5m is the 5 with a post-script upgrade. Can you use it as a generic post script printer?

peares
02-14-2003, 07:19 PM
Start cupsd as root from a terminal, thus:
sudo -s
cupsd (and wait a few seconds for the prompt to return)

Then startup the printer configuration wizzard. You will probably get an error message, ignore it and proceed with the setup.

Then save all the config stuff to a floppy to be used at boot.

This works for me on a Dell 4100 with an HP 5L.

jmclain25
02-15-2003, 10:27 PM
:oops: The Laserjet 5 series driver worked, as did the Laserjet 5 (gimp-print) and (lj5gray) drivers.

Thank you

Jean Béliveau
04-28-2003, 04:40 PM
Knoppix 2003-04-18.en usee hpijs 1.3-2 and many HP printer bloc after
each page. My HPOfficeJet725 print a bad page after restart and after 2 restart only on good page are possible.

But form according to http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/
6-February-2003
HP released hpijs version 1.3.1 to correct the printer-hang problem with the OfficeJet 500/600/700 and PSC 300 series products.

From http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/ I have donwload and install hpijs 13.1 now my HPOfficeJet725 workwell.

I suggest to update hpijs in KNOPPIX and Debian.