PDA

View Full Version : Looping intro sound on version 3.3

gigi188
01-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Hi, I did a search and found users reporting a looping intro sound on version 3.3. I have the same problem, and I am so new to Knoppix and Linux that I don't know how to stop it, other than turning off my speakers.

I have version 3.3 on a SOYO P4X400 Dragon Lite mother-board, with 256 megs of memory, a 2.2 GHz Celeron, and an Nvidia GeForce 2 MX400 64 meg video card. The sound card is a CM8738, and the driver that gets loaded automatically is called CMPCI. I tried loading the ALSA driver, but it loops the same, just at a lower volume

Something odd: The very first time I booted from the CD, I did NOT have this problem! But I've had it every single time afterwards.

Is there a way to kill the log-in sound and have the sound card function afterwards anyway? Something like the task manager in windows?

I *LOVE* what I see of Knoppix so far, but I need to resolve this sound issue. Thanks for any help!

Gigi 188 :shock:

gigi188
01-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Damn it! :( Still no replies...

Gigi188

aay
01-08-2004, 12:07 AM

Gigi188

If you can find the right process, you can kill it. Try from the command line
killall -9 artsd

If that doesn't work, run "top" from the command line. Do you see anything there that looks like it could be your sound playing? If so,
kill *pid number*. If you don't see it there, you will need to look for the pid of the offending process like this.
ps aux |more, then kill it.

Stephen
01-08-2004, 08:56 AM

Gigi188

If you can find the right process, you can kill it. Try from the command line
killall -9 artsd

If that doesn't work, run "top" from the command line. Do you see anything there that looks like it could be your sound playing? If so,
kill *pid number*. If you don't see it there, you will need to look for the pid of the offending process like this.
ps aux |more, then kill it.

lsof /dev/dsp can be of help as well it allows you to see the process controlling the DSP.