PDA

View Full Version : How to set up X on lapptop screen?

coltrane
01-06-2004, 05:38 AM
I have an ACER Travelmate 230XC. Knoppix boots, but reports that an invalid video mode number has been passed. Using the vga=normal cheatcode fixes that problem, however when X starts, it is low res 640x480, and the fonts are very large and hard to read (fuzzy).

Using the cheatcode screen=1024x768 didn't seem to do much.

I did manage to run xf86config from run level 2, and restart X in a higher resolution (1024 I think), so I know it can support it. The fonts were still fuzzy though.

How can I get knoppix to start up in a reasonable screen setup/mode? Any suggestions welcome about the fonts too.

rickenbacherus
01-06-2004, 07:28 AM
You can combine cheat codes like so:

knoppix vga=normal screen=1024x768

What kind of video does your laptop have? It may be possible to pass a code for that hardware as well.

coltrane
01-06-2004, 11:27 AM
I tried that combo. but no luck.

HOWEVER, I found out by reading lot's of posts in here that some laptops (DELL I think) need to have more memory allocated in BIOS for the video. Changing mine from the default of 1MB to 8MB fixed the problems completely. It even boots in hi-res text mode with a penguin graphic (not visible before). X comes up in 1024, and I am laughing.

Thanks...

rickenbacherus
01-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Right on. Maybe you could be so kind as to list your laptop and what it needed to work in the list of successful laptops?

coltrane
01-06-2004, 10:11 PM
I intend to add it, yes. I was just waiting till I resolve the problems with the Realtek network interface, and the i810 sound, then it will be perfect.