PDA

View Full Version : users

waynejkruse10
01-06-2004, 07:28 AM
i am new to knoppix so i was wondering how to have multiple users and login each time i boot from the cd (if its possible). i am using v3.2. i found this thing where it had a list of users and i clicked a button to use admin privilages but it asked me for root users password
wayne

kelmo
01-06-2004, 07:34 AM
Enter run level 2 by pressing:-
ctrl + alt + F2
Then set new password as root by typing:-
passwd
Set and confirm.

Read FAQ's

waynejkruse10
01-06-2004, 09:58 AM
yeah, i can change root user password but how do i create users and stuff.
wayne

Cuddles
01-06-2004, 12:19 PM
waynejkruse10,

Locate KMenu --> System --> KUser

You can create new users, and stuff, with that - I am not familiar with the command program adduser that much, so the GUI will work for you.

As for your original post, yes, I think you were in KUser, the view/change options you speak of, are in KUser. But, you have to realize, you have to be ROOT logged in to do things like add and change users. That type of work is done at the ADMIN level, not at the user level. When the Live CD logs you in, you are a user, and not ROOT. If you are not Root, you do not have permissions to make these kinds of changes. Your last statement about clicking the Admin Level, and it not working, is due to the fact that you did not have a Root password setup at that time.

Also, unless you are saving your configs and using a Persistant Knoppix Partition, while booting from the CD, everything you set up, after you reboot the knoppix CD, is not kept. So, setting up a Root, and Knoppix, and any other, users, will be lost if you are not saving these things to something other than the TEMP or RAMDISK.

Cuddles