PDA

View Full Version : Can't load Knoppix

Igor
01-06-2004, 06:38 PM
I download and burn LiveCD 2003-11-14. When I try to load from this CD, the system hang after message "AGP bridge detected" - I can type any symbols on keyboard (typed symbols appear on screen), without any reaction.
Option "testcd" show OK, when I try "noagp", "noaudio" - all without difference.
Configuration of my old computer:
-mb VIA85 on VIA Apollo Pro
-Celeron Coopermine 800 MHz
-192 Mb memory
-80 Gb Seagate Barracuda (ide0 master)
-40 Gb Fujitsu (ide0 slave)
-DVD-CD/RW Toshiba R1312 (ide1 master)
-ZIP-drive 100 Mb (ide1 slave)
-Riva TNT 16 Mb (ASUS 3400) in AGP slot
-NIC 3Com509 Combo (ISA slot)
-Soundcard AD1618 (ISA slot)

What I must do to load Knoppix?

windos_no_thanks
01-06-2004, 09:07 PM
What happens if you try the "failsafe" boot ?

Igor
01-06-2004, 09:50 PM
Sorry, I forget to mark:
1. All partition on my drives (except ZIP and floppy :-)) in NTFS
2. When I try "nodma" and "failsafe", loading go without visible differences - hang after "AGP bridge detected"
3. When loading begin, there are series of messages "scsi/ide: hdd: unsupported commands in queue (0)" and messages like "lvm: can't read disk" or "can't read partition table"

windos_no_thanks
01-06-2004, 09:59 PM
Maybe silly question but sometimes people get this wrong:
Did you use "knoppix failsafe" at the boot prompt ?
(The correct way is just "failsafe")

Igor
01-06-2004, 11:09 PM
Yes, I use exact "failsafe". Screen look different between "knoppix_with_parameters", but loading hang after message like "Skipping AGP detection" (same in "knoppix noagp"). There are more long message about disk error (see my post about NTFS partition), but I can't learn it (it disappear becouse scrolling)

windos_no_thanks
01-07-2004, 08:12 AM
Hmm, /dev/hdd is "ide1 slave", which you say is a zip drive, what happens if you disconnect it ?

Igor
01-07-2004, 09:57 AM
It difficult to phisically disconnect :-( When I try to disable ZIP in BIOS, Knoppix show a big delay (30-40 sec) in beginning of load, then say "hda: not ready for command" and after second delay "hdb: not ready for command". In other - same situation...

If no another advices, I will disconnect ZIP, but I don't think that problem in this :-(

windos_no_thanks
01-07-2004, 11:16 AM
I might not be able to figure this one out. Interesting though that testcd works. One would exepct the DVD-CD/RW to be inaccessible by the kernel too if this was a problem with the IDE-controller chips.

Igor
01-07-2004, 05:53 PM
I don't think that problem in hardware as is. All version Windows (and OS/2 one year ago) work without problem. This can be a problem in support my hardware (VIA chipset?) by Knoppix. Can I disable detection some IDE device on boot? I look in cheatcodes, no find...

windos_no_thanks
01-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Yep, I don't think there is anything physically wrong with your hardware but there might be some compatibility issues (many VIA chipsets are "strange" to say the least) You could perhaps disable the first IDE controller (ide0) completely in the BIOS ? I guess you already managed to disable the zip drive so that would leave us with just the DVD drive you are trying to boot from.

Igor
01-07-2004, 08:42 PM
I disable IDE0 channel in BIOS. I disable ZIP (but BIOS report about ATAPI device on IDE1 slave). Situation is same. And series of messages about "bad command in queue" present too. :-(
Tomorrow I will try to phisically disconnect ZIP, but it too lazy... :wink:

Igor
01-07-2004, 08:46 PM
May be, there is some way to resolve this problem in "expert" mode?
But I'm not expert, I'm beginner. Many years ago I use UNIX on IBM mainframe, and forget all... And Unix for S/370 - it is not Linux...

windos_no_thanks
01-07-2004, 08:57 PM
And series of messages about "bad command in queue" present too. :-(

Ok, which device do these error messages refer to now ?

Igor
01-07-2004, 09:08 PM
What do you mean in "what device"? In message? "hdd". And messages from "lvm" about unable to read partition table.

But I don't undestand a simple thing. Yes, there are a problem in work with one device. All OS can resolve this problem, for example - logically disconnect this device. Why Linux dead on this simple problem?

And! After this series of error messages initialization continued! My devices detected, apm manager detected and loaded, AGP bridge detected (IMHO chipset known for Knoppix). I do not see any messages about old NIC... It is not in PnP mode... May be problem in this?

windos_no_thanks
01-07-2004, 09:19 PM
Yes, that's what I meant. So it is still seeing the zip drive but we got rid of the hda & hdb messages, right ?
One thing you could try before disconnecting the zip drive if you haven't tried it already is put a disk in the zip drive.

Igor
01-07-2004, 09:27 PM
I try insert before boot and ZIP, and floppy. Situation not changed. And I not see turn to ZIP and floppy. Lamp not indicate any activity.

See my edited message above.

windos_no_thanks
01-07-2004, 09:43 PM
And! After this series of error messages initialization continued! My devices detected, apm manager detected and loaded, AGP bridge detected (IMHO chipset known for Knoppix). I do not see any messages about old NIC... It is not in PnP mode... May be problem in this?
Oh, I thought you meant it continues to display the same errors all the time. If it just dumps a bunch of them and then continues I guess the problem might be somewhere else, sorry.

windos_no_thanks
01-07-2004, 09:47 PM
One more suggestion before I log off tonight: "knoppix 2" (trying to boot into console mode only, no GUI)

Igor
01-07-2004, 09:48 PM
See my first message - system hang after message "AGP bridge detected" or "Skip detection AGP" (if "knoppix noagp" or "failsafe")

Igor
01-07-2004, 09:57 PM
It was my first try after unsuccess booting - boot in text mode. When I try "knoppix 2" situation is same, without any difference.

Surfin7
08-22-2004, 07:51 PM
I download and burn LiveCD 2003-11-14. When I try to load from this CD, the system hang after message "AGP bridge detected" - I can type any symbols on keyboard (typed symbols appear on screen), without any reaction.
Option "testcd" show OK, when I try "noagp", "noaudio" - all without difference.
Configuration of my old computer:
-mb VIA85 on VIA Apollo Pro
-Celeron Coopermine 800 MHz
-192 Mb memory
-80 Gb Seagate Barracuda (ide0 master)
-40 Gb Fujitsu (ide0 slave)
-DVD-CD/RW Toshiba R1312 (ide1 master)
-ZIP-drive 100 Mb (ide1 slave)
-Riva TNT 16 Mb (ASUS 3400) in AGP slot
-NIC 3Com509 Combo (ISA slot)
-Soundcard AD1618 (ISA slot)

What I must do to load Knoppix?
I have this EXACT error when I try to boot with Kurumim (itīs Knoppix based), the system just hang when the "AGP Bridge detected" message appears, Iīve tried other boot options, -noagp ans a lot of others without success.
System specs:
-mb PCChips M729 w/ ALI chipset
-Pentium2 300Mhz (Deschutes)
-128 Mb memory (2x32mb NEC and 1x64mb EliteMT)
-4 Gb Samsung (ide0 master)
-CD Dr.Hank (bios CD56Xi) (ide0 slave)
-S3 Virge DX in pci slot (agp slot is free)
-NIC Realtek 8139
-onboard CMI8330 audio

2 different systems with the same error, weird...

quibbly
12-03-2004, 04:02 AM
Having the same problem. Install freezes after: AGP Bridge Detected.
I was never able to install any flavor os Linux on this system except for Mandrake.

ASUS P4C800 Delux
P4 3.4 gig 800 mhz bus
1 Gid DDR 400