PDA

View Full Version : Save Myconfig Outside KDE

unamiccia
01-07-2004, 01:43 AM
Hi -- This is probably simple, but I haven't found the trick yet. I want my saved Knoppix configuration (configs.tbz and knoppix.sh on a USB drive) to remember that I want IceWM, not KDE, as my default window manager. However, the only way I know to save/resave my configuration is via the KDE menu (Knoppix --> Save My Configuration).

Is there a shell command that I could invoke during an IceWM session that would do the same thing?

Is there also a shell command for creating a Persistent Home file?

Thanks for all help!

L2Cache
01-07-2004, 07:10 AM
I set up a persistent home with kde, then boot with the cheatcode desktop=wmaker, then the changes I make in windomaker stick without having to save the configuration in windomaker. Maybe it will work that way for icewm too. You have to boot with the cheatcode: desktop=icewm

paradocs
01-07-2004, 09:26 AM
Hi umamiccia,

To see what the KDE Meun really does look at the following:
K --> Settings --> Menu Editor --> +KNOPPIX -->
+configure --> Save KNOPPIX configureation

In the Command box you will see
/usr/sbin/saveconfig

Is is this the command you are looking for?

Find the persistent home command in the same way.
Do these commands work from other desktop managers?

Best Wishes
paradocs

unamiccia
01-08-2004, 02:43 AM
Well, I feel a bit lazy and stupid. Thanks, L2Cache and paradocs, for guiding me straight.

In case it helps someone else:

The console command for saving your configuration is "saveconfig", and the console command for making a persistent home is "mkpersistenthome".

Note also that, at Knoppix boot, your existing saved configuration trumps your boottime cheatcode. If you already have a configuration saved via the KDE menu shortcut, typing "desktop=icewm" won't get you to icewm. Delete the existing configs.tbz and knoppix.sh and start again; save your preferred window manager in a console session with "saveconfig".

Thanks again for the help!