PDA

View Full Version : How do you change the screen resolution?

god
02-09-2003, 08:04 PM
I am getting a bit peeved with knoppix.... my 2 problems, cant save settings, (not too important) and cant change screen resolutions. I am stuck at 800x600. The CTRL+ALT <=/-> trick only magifies the screen, rather than actually changing the resolution. I used xf86config and nothing changes. I am a linux newbie, and would like some help with that in mind.

thanks everyone.

god
02-10-2003, 01:36 AM
bump....

this seems like it should be fairly simple to do.. I just have no clue what to do.

Knoppix does not include XFree86Setup, and I did not seem to be able to get xf86config to configure correctly...

Dave_Bechtel
02-10-2003, 05:48 AM
--Did you try boot: ' fb1024x768 ' or any other cheat codes? What video card and monitor are you using?

I am getting a bit peeved with knoppix.... my 2 problems, cant save settings, (not too important) and cant change screen resolutions. I am stuck at 800x600. The CTRL+ALT <=/-> trick only magifies the screen, rather than actually changing the resolution. I used xf86config and nothing changes. I am a linux newbie, and would like some help with that in mind.

thanks everyone.

god
02-10-2003, 05:59 AM
[quote="Dave_Bechtel"]--Did you try boot: ' fb1024x768 ' or any other cheat codes? What video card and monitor are you using?

I used all the cheatcodes I could get my hands on...

I am using a Dell ultrasharp 17 inch (1702 FP) with an nvidia 4200 card. I need the code "knoppix xmodule=vesa" to even get a picture, the standard "nv" modules appear to not work in combination with my monitor, (manual says vesa mode only accepted)

Thanks for any help, in advance....

JetCowBoB
02-11-2003, 03:15 AM
[quote=Dave_Bechtel]--Did you try boot: ' fb1024x768 ' or any other cheat codes? What video card and monitor are you using?

I used all the cheatcodes I could get my hands on...

I am using a Dell ultrasharp 17 inch (1702 FP) with an nvidia 4200 card. I need the code "knoppix xmodule=vesa" to even get a picture, the standard "nv" modules appear to not work in combination with my monitor, (manual says vesa mode only accepted)

Thanks for any help, in advance....

Have you tried installing the nvidia drivers from nvidia themselves? They work really well, and they are easier to install than i thought originally. A friend told me I had to recompile the kernel, which i have yet to do successfully.... but I have no problem following nvidias instructions on their website. I actually get better resolution and graphics than with the nv drivers.

god
02-11-2003, 05:54 AM
I am planning on getting those drivers as soon as i get a harddrive install going. Thanks though.

antoni_NT
01-05-2007, 07:29 AM
I'm linux newbie, I'M REALLY IRRITATE WITH 800x600 resolution. HEEEEELLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

I tried all ways from this topic to change my screen resolution to 1024x768 (at least).

I tried using fb=1280x1024, FAILED!!!

I installed nvidia driver, I run
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run can't continue because of error in compiling kernel. What's the problem????

I'm using SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER 551V on nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440 64MB of RAM. on ASUS A7V8X-x, using AMD Athlon.

HELP me change my resolution. I tried god's way, It failed. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

kirol
01-05-2007, 11:10 AM
I tried using fb=1280x1024, FAILED!!!
The correct "cheatcode" is simply "fb1280x1024" (there is no equal sign).

antoni_NT
01-06-2007, 03:11 PM
kirol wrote:
The correct "cheatcode" is simply "fb1280x1024" (there is no equal sign).
Well, I always see "F2" or "F3" when boot options is prompted. I'm sure I wrote "fb1024.." WITHOUT equal sign. But, still no luck on me.

Now I install it on my harddrive. I hope it resolution can be changed, like what I did on earlier version on Knoppix (3.6), but it didn't happen on this version.

Let me get it simpler for you to help me solve this. I have typed "how to install nvidia linux driver" on Google, and it points me to here:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10329
Can someone help me simplifyng those action?
I downloaded "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run" from NVIDIA website, I followed the instruction in README.txt, but it failed in recompiling kernel. When I typed
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run It was looking for compiling module, or somewhat, and it said it could not find it, so it had to recompile it, then, it returned to error. HELP ME.

zephyr200200
01-18-2007, 04:01 AM
Ran into a similar problem after I installed the nVidia drivers.
Stuck with no video option but 800x600

This seemed work for me running KNOPPIX 5.1.1 DVD with a problematic nVidia Ge Force 3 Ti 200

First downloaded the appropriate driver from the nVidia site. The latest wouldn't work with my older card so
I dropped back to the next one in the archives (there's a link in the lefthand box.).

Opened Konsole and su to root.

Did an init 2 to exit the XServer. ( first mounted the drive hde5 where the driver file is located)

did cd /mnt/hde5

The correct syntax for the driver installation in my case was:
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9631-pkg1.run

Navigated thru the onscreen questions and it ended up compiling and installing the module.
Process is more or less automated.

After this was done, did an init 5 to restart the XServer.

Went to K-MENU ->KNOPPIX-> Utilities-> Choose/Restart Desktop.
Chose to restart KDE

At this point I had the same problem described above.

800x600 was the only option available.

Ran across a post in Ubuntu Forums that was a fix for me.

Here goes... I did it slightly differently than the post described so will edit and mod accordingly
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open Konsole and su to root.

1) Backup your configuration file

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup

2) How to reconfigure Xorg
Notice that auto detection of devices works best if Xorg is not running. Therefore it's recommended to stop X before reconfiguring this will put you to text only mode / command line:

/etc/init.d/gdm stop (or kdm for KDE)

3) You can do the whole X configuration process by entering:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

(Just follow the prompts... if it turns out wrong - just redo it!)

4)To start Gnome/KDE again:

/etc/init.d/gdm start (or kdm for KDE)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

After this, I did the K-MENU ->KNOPPIX-> Utilities-> Choose/Restart Desktop.
Choose to restart KDE

I seem to have the NVDIA driver installed and running and I have quite a few resolution options
available.

Right now I am at 1024x768 16 bit resolution.

The whole process takes a lot less time than it did for me to type this in !!!

Hope this helps.

konqui_89
02-02-2008, 04:33 AM
I followed these steps and I am still capped at 1024x768

I cant seem to get the 1280x1024 setting that I know my system is capable of...