PDA

View Full Version : install on 2HDs with 2GB each?

lcg
01-07-2004, 03:41 PM
for hd install the minimum HD size is 2.5GB. i have 2HDs with 2GB each. how can I install on the HDs? I tried to put the SWAP-part. on one and the rest on the other. not successful.
thanks
Livio, Switzerland

rickenbacherus
01-07-2004, 05:37 PM
It will be close but I think you can make it fit. I will presume that your second hdd is /dev/hdb. You need to make your own partitions on /dev/hdb & format them. Run knoppix-installer, create a configuration, quit the installer, say 'yes when it asks to "save config". Open /root/.knofig with your favorite editor, edit the following line:

HD_MAP=""

Add something like so:

HD_MAP="/dev/hdb1:/home /dev/hdb2:/var /dev/hdb3:/tmp /dev/hdb4:/etc"

Use hda for /root of course.

These are approximations mind you. :P

18M /tmp
38M /home
215M /var
100M /etc (not sure about that one)

That should get you close. Of course you don't want to make your partitions just big enough to hold a directory but rather make them a bit bigger.

You can also tell .knofig to ignore the hdd size for /root. It's in .knofig as well.

After you edit .knofig restart the installer. No need to "load config file" as it will automatically use .knofig.

/usr is the biggest directory at almost 2G itself but presently there is a problem moving /usr to another partition. The installer hangs at 16%. Fabianx has submitted a patch that I've not yet tried:

--- knoppix-installer.old 2004-01-05 21:03:39.000000000 +0100
+++ knoppix-installer 2004-01-05 21:07:21.000000000 +0100
@@ -345,12 +345,12 @@
function module_hd_progressbar
{
{
- PROGRESS=$(df -m $TARGET_MNT_POINT | awk '/'$TARGET_MNT_NAME'/{print $3}')
+ PROGRESS=$(df -m | awk 'BEGIN{m=0};/'$TARGET_MNT_NAME'/{m+=$3};END{print m}')
TOTAL=$[ROOT_MIN_CORR+PROGRESS] # Set starting point
p=$1
while [ -d /proc/$p ]
do
- PROGRESS=$(df -m $TARGET_MNT_POINT | awk '/'$TARGET_MNT_NAME'/{print $3}')
+ PROGRESS=$(df -m | awk 'BEGIN{m=0};/'$TARGET_MNT_NAME'/{m+=$3};END{print m}')
PERC=$[PROGRESS*100/TOTAL]
[ "$PERC" -lt "100" ] && echo $PERC
sleep 10

It should apply clean ...

Just copy it to a file mydiff.diff,

cp $(which knoppix-installer) .
patch -p0 < mydiff.diff
sudo ./knoppix-installer

If you can get the patch to apply cleanly then perhaps try to move only /usr to the second hdd. I may get around to trying the patch myself this weekend.

arkaine23
01-07-2004, 06:28 PM
Maybe someone has made a custom version of Knoppix where the minimum requirements for the installer scripts has been edited.... I made my remaster Overclockix capable of being installed to a medium as small as 1.93 GB by edtiing the knx-hdinstall script prior to remastering. I did the same for the enwer knoppiox-installer script.

I have not tested either out yet (as I made some other minor changes to the install scripts too). And also Overclockix is a bit less stable than regular knoppix.

m_yates
01-08-2004, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the posts, I've learned a lot about the installer. By the way, Morphix is a custom version of Knoppix with a samller drive size requirement. The Morphix version that has KDE is only a 400 MB iso.

rickenbacherus
01-08-2004, 05:30 AM
I made my remaster Overclockix capable of being installed to a medium as small as 1.93 GB by edtiing the knx-hdinstall script prior to remastering. I did the same for the enwer knoppiox-installer script.

Do tell! :P