PDA

View Full Version : Flonix, i'm impressed

doudou
01-07-2004, 05:48 PM
I've just installed Flonix build32 on my 128M USB2 drive, I'me very impressed :!:

You have everything you want in 62M (multimedia, including a media center), internet(with mozilla firebird 0.7).

What is very cool, it's about save/restore documents & mails on the USB drive used by Flonix so you have the system, apps and data in the same device, in your pocket.

The desktop design is cool and the system is really fast.

As they say on their web site, Flonix is a tip-top system ;)

I'm not going out without my usb drive now !

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15506

doudou
01-07-2004, 05:50 PM
PS : I just saw that there is no german & italian documentation on flonix site (wiki), if someone can help them (i'm not translator, i'll try to help them by report bugs, if I found some)...

Rootman
01-07-2004, 09:05 PM
I've just installed Flonix build32 on my 128M USB2 drive, I'me very impressed :!:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have to second this. I am using the CD version. I just may pop for a USB pen drive just to try this out.

Good work, You must of really worked to get it so small.

doudou
01-07-2004, 09:18 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have to second this. I am using the CD version. I just may pop for a USB pen drive just to try this out.

Good work, You must of really worked to get it so small.

It's not me but yes they have done a good work to have all these fonctionalities on a so small device.

kbreen
01-07-2004, 09:43 PM
I notice with a USB drive you can store files.
Do you know if it uses an encrypted filesystem? So that if your USB drive gets into someones hands they can't read your files without your password?

aay
01-07-2004, 10:48 PM
I notice with a USB drive you can store files.
Do you know if it uses an encrypted filesystem? So that if your USB drive gets into someones hands they can't read your files without your password?

Yes unless you encrypt them.

doudou
01-10-2004, 12:00 PM
I just downloaded and installed Flonix build 34, I'm very happy of it.

Desktop enhancments and the new media center skin are very nice.

Good job :!:

doudou
01-14-2004, 10:35 AM
Available today :arrow: installed today :!:
Startup with my USB2 key is very fast (less than 1min), I have never see a faster OS start.
Flonix starts faster than an HD installed OS :D
I'll donate to the author, he've done a very good job :!:

pkostrze
01-15-2004, 12:42 PM
I've just finished setting up Flonix on my Sandisk Cruzer 256 USB drive and it's amazing. I replaced the existing file, fond.jpg, with another file of the same dimensions and now have a custom desktop background as well. It took a while to get my drive bootable but when I switched from Syslinux 2.06 to Syslinux 2.08 it took care of my problem.

The only things I'm having issues with are the color depth locking in at 256 colors and when shutting down it doesn't save my documents to USB as it says it does... any ideas?

All in all I'd say this is one of the coolest and useful things I've ever downloaded and I now walk around with my USB key on a neck lanyard everywhere, I look like a dork but I'm never without a bootable Linux distro!

doudou
01-19-2004, 10:25 AM
Build 37 is smaller ( <60MB :!: ), with the same capabilities and easyer to use.

01-23-2004, 10:26 PM
I've tried to install Flonix to my usb key a couple of times, but without success. I use a floppy to boot, but when the key is accessed, up pop the error messages:-

Accessing Flonix USB...cat: No file /KNOPPIX/etc/ld.so.cache

rm: not found
awk: not found

and so on until:-

kernel panic

All the required files appear to be on the key, and I can't work out where I have goofed.
Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Aleu
03-15-2004, 01:36 AM
I've tried to install Flonix to my usb key a couple of times, but without success. I use a floppy to boot, but when the key is accessed, up pop the error messages:-

Accessing Flonix USB...cat: No file /KNOPPIX/etc/ld.so.cache

rm: not found
awk: not found

and so on until:-

kernel panic

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

I got the same messages. This is what I have done:
I have formatted my USB 64MB Pen drive using FAT. I have booted the Knoppix CD mounted the Pen Drive and copied Flonix USB edition on it (I have some files and knoppix directory in the root directory of the Pen Drive). I have created floppy disk with boot.img.
Anyway, system stops at the moment described by 3133. What am I doing wrong? Please help. Thanks in advance

T
03-19-2004, 04:56 PM
Is there any documentation of how to store the USB files on your USB drive, such as what filesystem you should use, etc? I can't get it to work either!!

T
03-19-2004, 05:40 PM
Also, what is the default root password for flonix? There is no documentation so I have no idea!!

Ghandalfar
03-19-2004, 06:43 PM
sudo su

maybe?

mcaycedo
03-19-2004, 09:16 PM
I have and external hd enclosure USB 2. Inside I have and 6 gb HDD formated in an unique partition with FAT 32. I only copied the uncompressed files in the root carpet. Create a boot diskette and then reboot the machine.

One tip! When you launch your machine with knoppix and connect your USB drive it appears in the desktop?. I have had 4 USB devices, and only 2 works under linux. All of them work with windows. Maybe your USB drive is windows only, and in that case, your floppy linux drive won't be able to see them.

Rootman
03-19-2004, 09:40 PM
Also, what is the default root password for flonix? There is no documentation so I have no idea!!If it's like the other Knoppix based / derived distro's it's blank, You can use su or sudo. Try typing
passwd root and change it to what you want, note that it is not permanant.
----
Visit my homepage: http://www.cox-internet.com/stevedavis/ - BORING! ;-}

oldgeezer
03-21-2004, 08:22 AM
You will find that <flonix> works as password! So obvious that it becomes really helpful as well as keeping out the uninitiated.
OG.

ihti
09-25-2004, 01:31 PM
I have one build of flonix, but how do I install the .iso from HD to USB-stick?

Where can I found latest version of usb-Flonix?

juklkj
12-12-2004, 06:53 PM
www.wordit.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/67

:D