PDA

View Full Version : Small problem with remaster under Vmware

Rootman
01-07-2004, 05:50 PM
I have found that remastering under VMware to be the fastest way for me to experiment. However I have one small problem. When I boot to Knoppix (CD or HD installed) and then switch over to vc2 (CTRL-ALT-F2) the terminal fonts are microscopic and doubled left to right with half of the X window's contents still showing underneath. Obviosly the vid mode is not right after jumping to X and back to text. What I don't know is how to fix the vid mode so the console is usable. I can usually peck keys carefully and chroot, mount proc and startx but if any errors pop up I'm lost and must start over cause the fonts are unreadable.

Anyone know how to reset the vid mode under VMWare without screwing the pooch on the 1st or 2nd X session? Something like the old DOS mode co80 command?

I notice that Windows VM's text screen also tear the screen up when switching to graphics mode so it must be a VMWare specific problem.

Rootman
01-16-2004, 09:54 PM
I finally figured it out - somewhat.

I edited the syslinux.cfg and added vga=normal to the append line. Once it enters a higher vid mode the text is unreadable.