PDA

View Full Version : Running knoppix on toshiba 2430 402 problem booting

oconnork00
01-08-2004, 10:09 AM
Hi there, i tried knoppix v 3.3 on my win2000 desktop and it works fine. when i put it on my laptop the first screen comes up, with the boot prompt. when i click enter to proceed nothing, nmlinuz........... and miniroot.gz come up, a blank screen comes up and thats it!
I tried a load of commanda, fb800x600, xmodule=nv ( i have an nvidia card) vga=normal, and when i do this, "uncompressing linux, ..ok, loading kernel ( i think).
And this is as far as i can get. The penguin doesnt come up at all.
Any help would be absolutely great.
All the best,
Kevin

snowmonger
01-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Hey Kevin, try this:

In case of a failing hardware autodetection, try booting with any of
the "no-" options as shown in the table above, like in
knoppix noagp noaudio noddc noapm noapic nodma nopcmcia noscsi nousb
to skip some critical parts of the autodetection system.

Guido

windos_no_thanks
01-08-2004, 07:47 PM
As snowmonger suggested try all the no* cheatcodes first.
If none of them work you may have a problem that can only be fixed by running a kernel without the smp code compiled in. (at least as far as kernels up to 2.4.23 are concerned)
The symptoms you describe are identical to what I saw on my machine, had to do a remaster to get around them. More info here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6154

oconnork00
01-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Hi windows_no_thanks
i am currently downloading the experimental. will take all day so will leave it running... I am really interesting in getting knoppix-std to work. i think it will have exactly the same problem as the knoppix i currently have. is there a knoppix-std experimental going around too??
Thanks very much for your help,
Regards,
Kevin