PDA

View Full Version : Problem and solution, knoppix-install v3.3 2003-11-19

tubeman
01-08-2004, 05:34 PM
Hi, just tried the new knoppix-install script. First, thanks, that went almost smooth.

1 issue, 1 bug:

1. There should be a hint when it comes to partitioning mentioning that the root partition has to be >= 2.2 Gb to be offered for the installation. I was wondering why I was only offered one partition (thought the issue was rather with the dialog box) and went to the script source to find out about that.

2. My system has a promise raid, which lets the only available disk end up as hde. The lilo.conf after knoppix-install correctly set up /dev/hde1 as root, but let boot be /dev/hda. Following: no booting possible. That should be fixed.

Thanks a lot for everything knoppix (Is there a special place to send knoppix-install bugs? haven't the script handy atm),
greetings, tm

rickenbacherus
01-08-2004, 08:46 PM
From the documentation:

You CAN install newer versions of Knoppix on harddisk, if you wish, though installation is not required for productive use. If you want to do this, you should just make sure there is some empty space on your harddrive so you can create at least 2 Linux partitions, one for the System (for Knoppix, minimal approx. 3 GB) and about minimal 200MB for Swap during the installation process. A partitioning program is integrated in the knoppix-installer.

To submit a bug simply click the link at the top of every page that says 'Bugs'

As far as the installer and lilo go- well what can you say? It's experimental and Knoppix was never designed to be installed to hdd. It's an afterthought. I take it you got lilo fixed?

tubeman
01-09-2004, 01:55 PM
First thanks for the hint... I actually overlooked the 'bugs' button. Well I'm new here. It actually seems that the bug is filed as 312 already, though with a different setup and outcome.

btw HD-install might be an experimental and an afterthought, but well, this part of the knoppix forum is handling exactly this very appreciated, often used and highly popular experimental afterthought, isn't it? Thought somebody whose HD-install results in a notbooting system might want to know a possible reason.

Yes, I fixed lilo. But you're right, although fixing lilo is documented in a couple of places (including this forum I guess), I should have mentioned it here. There are a couple of ways to do that, mine was in short:

boot from CD
su root
remove /etc/lilo.conf and /boot
mount root partition on HD, /dev/hde1 in my case, to /mnt/hde1
symlink /mnt/hde1/boot to /boot
symlink /mnt/hde1/etc/lilo.conf to /etc/lilo.conf
edit lilo.conf (boot=/dev/hde)
lilo -v

hth.