PDA

View Full Version : Install and Refresh rate screwed up

DragonDon
01-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Greetings all!

Ok, I decided to give Linux another shot and have heard lots about Knoppix and their Live CD. So DL away and burn the ISO. (Latest online version, 3.3)

I have a second machine that I wanted to give it a shot on but after the boot prompt(actually, after...darn, forgot the name of the file but I can seee vmlinuz load and then the one after that loads, it is after the second file where the video goes screwy). I can tell that Linux is loading and working fine (can kinda make out a little Tux on the screen, albeit in 50 places at once<G>)

I have checked out the cheat sheet and tried a number of options but nothing seems to change.

I have searched the messages and tried a suggested ALT+CTL++/- which made no difference.

So, specs are:

(IBM 300PL) P1/200, 64MB RAM, ATI Rage II+, NEC MultiSync 2A(14").

I know the monitor does have issues and simply will NOT go into 800X600 video mode (even in Win98) and this is fine. I can use a command line easy enough but how do I force text mode, 720X480?

"knoppix 2" doesn't change anything.

I'm not qutie ready yet to install as I just want to 'try' this version of Linux and see if I can get it to work.

Any other suggestions? (Besides a different monitor...)

Stephen
01-09-2004, 02:10 PM
knoppix noddc xvrefresh=60 xmodule=ati screen=640x480 try that and if it works then bump up the screen= to the size you want to get and you may have to go with a desktop (desktop=) other than KDE it is most likely going to tell you that you have insufficent ram to start KDE itself. Othercheat codes (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes).