PDA

View Full Version : Black screen during startup

nooksack
01-10-2004, 02:27 AM
After loading all drivers and configuring is done the screen goes blank instead of loading o/s. :?: :?: :?: [/b]

Gravestone
01-10-2004, 05:14 AM
I had a similar problem. Mine was caused by a conflict with the video driver. I'm still experimenting but I can get the desktop to load and show using:

Knoppix xmodule=vesa

Hope this helps.

wwhitmar
01-11-2004, 11:51 PM
After loading all drivers and configuring is done the screen goes blank instead of loading o/s. :?: :?: :?: [/b]

I have the same problem, execpt, my monitor is turned off (???) and i must turn the puter off manually. :?:

flaminjd
01-12-2004, 12:54 AM
Where do I type Knoppix xmodule=vesa?

I am total linux newbie....so any help will be welcome

fingers99
01-12-2004, 01:13 AM
As knoppix boots up you'll see

boot:

just enter the cheatcode so you get

boot: knoppix xmodule=vesa

(IIRC the "K" should be lower case).

Something else to try is to return the bios to "system defaults" -- this won't adversely affect Windows.

flaminjd
01-12-2004, 01:28 AM
Didnt work. Any more suggestions?

Stephen
01-12-2004, 01:53 AM
Didnt work. Any more suggestions?

knoppix noapm or knoppix noddc or knoppix noapci and you can use two or more cheat codes (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) on the same command line eg. knoppix noapm noddc. And just to be sure you do not have a bad cd knoppix testcd.

pinku
01-12-2004, 05:50 AM
I think Knoppix loads with default resolution of 1280 and a high refresh frequency I dont know the exact values but, if u hit F2 when the Knoppix boot screen comes it shows the values I think.

U might have to set screen resolution and hsync and vsync using

knoppix screen=<ur resolution> vsync=<supported freq at this res> hsync=<supported freq>

U would have to get that info abt ur monitor. That solved my problem of monitor turning off after configuration.