PDA

View Full Version : How to disable sound "initiating starting sequence"

probono
02-09-2003, 10:48 PM
Does anyone know how I can disable the "initiating starting sequence" and "initiating shutdown sequence" sounds WITHOUT remastering the image?

I could imagine it could be done by replacing a file from /etc at startup time with knoppix.sh, but don't know how exactly it can be done. (Reason: I want to run Knoppix on my notebook in quiet areas but don't want to turn off sound completey...)

Thanks!

stonent
02-10-2003, 02:25 AM
You unplug your speakers ;)

probono
02-10-2003, 04:34 AM
You unplug your speakers ;)Inside the notebook ;-)

eadz
02-10-2003, 04:46 AM
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession
lines 87 to 99

but not sure about doing that without remastering..

probono
02-10-2003, 05:35 AM
thanks a lot! couldn't I just overwrite that file before it gets executed?

eadz
02-10-2003, 05:37 AM
thanks a lot! couldn't I just overwrite that file before it gets executed?

you could try, maybe in a knoppix.sh file.

probono
02-10-2003, 09:37 PM
finally, I managed it:

first, I commented out the sound lines in 45xsession and xsession

second, I replace these files via knoppix.sh:

# no startup sound
rm -f /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession
cp /cdrom/KNOPPIX/45xsession /etc/X11/Xsession.d/

# no shutdown sound
rm -f /etc/init.d/xsession
cp /cdrom/KNOPPIX/xsession /etc/init.d/

works perfect! (don't comment out the 'sleep 2' in the 45xsession)

Ander
12-26-2003, 04:44 PM
Too bad there's no way to disable them without remastering the CD.

I love Knoppix. However, I always cringe when I'm demonstrating it on my portable, and the woman's voice booms out:"Startup sequence initiated," like some kind of Star Trek thing. And unfortunately, my volume controls don't work until you load an OS.

Hmm, maybe I should post a new topic about this. I doubt anyone would listen, but it's worth a try...

aay
12-30-2003, 07:09 AM
This is easy to do w/o remastering. Just do the following.

Boot into text mode
knoppix 2
Run xaumix
Turn down the volume
Start X either with "startx" or "init 5"

The only disadvantage this has to the remastering option is that you have to repeat it, but then again you don't have to remaster.

Adam

locutus
12-30-2003, 05:33 PM
I've not tried this but the thought is to use an awk/sed script in a knoppix.sh script to change those files mentioned earlier. You'd have to copy this to a floppy, usb dongle, or the systems HD but that would be it. You'd use the "knoppix myconfig=scan" boot codes but since theres no configs.tgz and just the knoppix.sh script, it's a quick boot and pretty much default.

You might be able to find the default audio volume file( from audio config setup ) and just create or change that to what it needs to be. It's the file created when you use the ControlCenter-Audio Settings.

It's not a "cheat code" only solution but should require just the knoppix.sh file.

unamiccia
01-08-2004, 02:48 AM
I searched knoppix.net to address this issue and thank those who replied earlier. The "initiating startup sequence" lady is a pain, especially when I'm using a Knoppix CD covertly to take over a Windows computer in a quiet library . . .

Does anyone have Klaus's ear who could suggest eliminating this "feature"?

-- unamiccia

Stephen
01-08-2004, 09:58 AM
I searched knoppix.net to address this issue and thank those who replied earlier. The "initiating startup sequence" lady is a pain, especially when I'm using a Knoppix CD covertly to take over a Windows computer in a quiet library . . .

Does anyone have Klaus's ear who could suggest eliminating this "feature"?

-- unamiccia

noaudio cheat code.