PDA

View Full Version : USB ADSL

rasterrex
01-10-2004, 01:35 PM
Knoppix does not detect my usb adsl modem (sagem) :roll: and i keep hearing how linux is gonna take Microsoft soon lol yeah right! keep dreaming linux geeks! linux is a complete mess its all over the place.What works on one machine does not work on another :?

Sorry for my rant but im :x after spending hours just trying to get the screen to display in a normal mode and then finding i have no sound or net!

windos_no_thanks
01-10-2004, 03:16 PM
Well, on a vast majority of machines Knoppix just works without any problems but you seldom hear about those here. (I had run it successfully on dozens of machines before finding one with problems, which caused me to join this forum) Unfortunately many hardware makers are still busy kissing up to Micro$oft and don't test their stuff with anything else...
Anyway, could you post the output of lspci -v here so we could take a guess on what is going wrong ? Since you don't have the net working you could mount a floppy disk, save the result there and then reboot to windoze or move it to another machine with net access. :-)

arkaine23
01-10-2004, 11:05 PM
Makers of USB DSL and cable modems should be shot. I do helpdesk support for DSL service at one of my jobs, and all I have to say about USB connections for DSL is- USE A NETWORK CARD!

Your DSL equipment probably came with an ethernet cable, and ytou can find PCI ethernet cards for around $5 US usually. I got my last one for $1. Odds are very good that you will have fewer problems and better performance using one. For that matter, any pppoe-capable router can also be a nice thing to have.

bigpilot
01-15-2004, 10:25 PM
Sagem modems should work as there are Linux drivers available for them. I did an install of a Sagem USB ADSL modem recently and I was suprised to find Linux drivers on the CD for it. I did the installation for Windows, however , so I can't tell you how to get it running. Look on the Sagem website for drivers and installation instructions.

And stop your stupid ranting.