PDA

View Full Version : HP omnibook XE4400

serpisors
01-10-2004, 06:50 PM
Hello I have a HP omnibook XE4400 laptop on which I want to install RedHat 9, but when I try to but RedHat my keyboard freezes, I think this is because RedHat doesn't find my keyboard or something like that. Can I use Knoppix to find my hardware and then install RedHat normally?

windos_no_thanks
01-10-2004, 08:13 PM
Running Knoppix will of course not make RedHat work any better automaticaliy.
If it does boot you you vould be able to examine more closely what hardware you have if you aren't sure. On the other hand, if Knoppix works but RedHat doesn't then why not do a Knoppix hard disk install instead ? :-)

serpisors
01-10-2004, 08:32 PM
I just booted Knoppix and all went fine, it detected all the hardwares. How can I see what hardware I have in Knoppix and how can I use that to make RedHat work? I will try installing RedHat with the info you will provide me and if it doesn't work I will install Knoppix ... Please reply ASAP

serpisors
01-10-2004, 08:34 PM
I just booted Knoppix and all went fine, it detected all the hardwares. How can I see what hardware I have in Knoppix and how can I use that to make RedHat work? I will try installing RedHat with the info you will provide me and if it doesn't work I will install Knoppix ... Please reply ASAP

windos_no_thanks
01-10-2004, 08:40 PM
Well, the output of lspci -v can often be useful. I have no idea what made your RedHat installation fail though.

serpisors
01-10-2004, 08:44 PM
Can you tell me exactly what to do to make RedHat work? Can you tell me if you use IRC and also where I could contact you on IRC if you use it (server,nickname).

windos_no_thanks
01-10-2004, 08:55 PM
Can you tell me exactly what to do to make RedHat work? Can you tell me if you use IRC and also where I could contact you on IRC if you use it (server,nickname).
Nah, I don't use RedHat myself lately so I'm not sure if I'd be very useful. I'm sure you can find some forum where RedHat specific issues are discussed if you google for it. I don't do much chatting, for Knoppix issues I find this place more useful since many others beside the one asking the question might benefit from any solutions that might be found. :-D

serpisors
01-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Do you know a linux distribution which has good laptop support? If not can you tell me how to install Knoppix?

windos_no_thanks
01-10-2004, 09:25 PM
Knoppix isn't too bad once you've compiled a kernel that suits your machine. Some people seem to like Mandrake, haven't used it myself on any laptop though. There are two scripts that both do a hard disk install, knoppix-installer and knx-hdinstall. To run them just say "sudo knoppix-installer" or "sudo knx-hdinstall" (on the command line in a Konsole window for instance). Some more details (for knx-hdinstall) are here: http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/debian-knoppix.html I usually use knx-hdinstall myself because I prefer the reiserfs filesystem.