PDA

View Full Version : Xine error after doing a Upgrade, error posted. (resolved)

Cuddles
01-10-2004, 10:05 PM
Xine was working perfectly yesterday, last night I did a apt-get -u upgrade - I don't think XINE was in the upgrade list, but now, I can't get Xine to go anywhere.

Xine opens up the Video Window, the GUI Window, and the Xine Splash, after a few seconds, poof, they all dissapear, nothing.

I was running it from the KMenu, and by running it from a Konsole Shell, the following error is shown:

CODE:
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.9.23.
(c) 2000-2003 The xine Team.
dxr3_scr: Failed to open control device /dev/em8300-0 (No such file or directory)
load_plugins: failed to load audio output plugin <alsa>
xine: relocation error: xine: undefined symbol: xine_osd_get_capabilities

Could this be something about having to re-do the apt-get the [dvd] lib, the one from videolan.org? As I said previously, I had Xine working perfectly yesterday, and only did a Upgrade since then. Did my Upgrade hose my dvd lib? Or is this a bad version of Xine, even though I don't think Xine was Upgraded?

Help - I was going to show off Debian/Knoppix to some friends with having the video running, while doing a lot of other things - something [they] or I could never do inside a Windoze system...

Thanks, as always, to any assistance,
Cuddles

windos_no_thanks
01-10-2004, 10:18 PM
I don't think it is anything that you did except the "apt-get upgrade". I also did an apt-get upgrade recently and xine stopped working. Didn't bother me much since I prefer mplayer anyway but it does seem a bit odd.

Cuddles
01-10-2004, 11:14 PM
Hmmm, thanks WindosNoThanks, I take it "mplayer" you speak of is, Windows' Media Player???

Any other DVD viewers for Knoppix?????

STILL need to resolve
I tried to --reinstall xine-ui -=- didn't resolve
I tried to reinstall the libdvdcss2 library -=- didn't resolve

Anyone have any ideas on getting Xine happy here???

Cuddles

windos_no_thanks
01-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Hmmm, thanks WindosNoThanks, I take it "mplayer" you speak of is, Windows' Media Player???

Noooooooooo, yuck !!! ;-) :-D
I mean this: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/

Cuddles
01-10-2004, 11:34 PM
ok WindosNoThanks, I looked at the web site, and SOURCE CODE ???

Yikes!

I never have learned how to do this, and my last attempt, (LTWinModem drivers) wasn't very pleasant...

I guess I need a hand-hold again :oops:

(would REALLY like to get Xine working still, though)

Cuddles

windos_no_thanks
01-10-2004, 11:54 PM
I looked at the web site, and SOURCE CODE ???

Yes, the guys running that project are a bit umm... different. ;-) They don't allow distribution in binary format, which is why it doesn't come pre-installed in Knoppix. It has gotten fairly stable though. What you need to do is read the instructions, download & install codecs for any proprietary file formats you want to view, run configure, make, and make install.
A fine piece of software once you get it installed correctly, well worth the trouble. A long time ago it used to be a nightmare to install so in some circles it may have a bad reputation but IMHO it is fairly straightforward now.

Cuddles
01-11-2004, 12:01 AM
Should I go for the v1.0PRE3 source, or the older v0.92 ???

I assume, the best, would be to get the "all-in-one" Codec's

Do I need GOOM? (what in the world is GOOM?)

Do I need to get any of the extra Codec's - if I get the all-in-one? I just plan on using the DVD Player anyway.

Do I need any of the Fonts? Or is it fine without them?

Thanks for all the help, in advance, and for getting me this far...

Cuddles
[ps] Anyone have any resolve on Xine, I am waiting for that as well :D

windos_no_thanks
01-11-2004, 12:18 AM
I'm using 1.0PRE3, it works ok for me at least.
I think GOOM is some audio visualization stuff, not needed.
You probably don't need the extra codecs, and if I remember correctly the fonts are also optional.

Stephen
01-11-2004, 12:45 AM
Should I go for the v1.0PRE3 source, or the older v0.92 ???

I assume, the best, would be to get the "all-in-one" Codec's

Do I need GOOM? (what in the world is GOOM?)

Do I need to get any of the extra Codec's - if I get the all-in-one? I just plan on using the DVD Player anyway.

Do I need any of the Fonts? Or is it fine without them?

Thanks for all the help, in advance, and for getting me this far...

Cuddles
[ps] Anyone have any resolve on Xine, I am waiting for that as well :D

You can get already built packages for mplayer add:

## Various Multimedia Helper Apps ##
deb http://hpisi.nerim.net/ unstable main

To your /etc/apt/sources.list and dselect update and then to install apt-get -s install mplayer-??? w32codecs replace the ??? with the machine type of install you want 386, 686 or k7 you may want to look at installing some of the suggested and recommended as well it been a while so I not sure what can get pulled in with it and if the command looks good remove the -s to install some notes I made for my self at the time of install you may want to do similar if you find the same behavior now:

Mplayer command line tweaks I noticed from warnings when running it from the command line to get configuration files recognized and my joystick working. 2003-11-05

For joystick:

HappyTux:/home/stephen# ll /dev/input/js0
crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 0 2002-03-14 17:54 /dev/input/js0
HappyTux:/home/stephen# chmod o+r /dev/input/js0
HappyTux:/home/stephen# ll /dev/input/js0
crw-rw-r-- 1 root root 13, 0 2002-03-14 17:54 /dev/input/js0

For input.conf:

HappyTux:/home/stephen# cp /etc/mplayer/input.conf /home/stephen/.mplayer/
HappyTux:/home/stephen# chown stephen:stephen /home/stephen/.mplayer/input.conf

For codecs.conf:

HappyTux:/home/stephen# cp /etc/mplayer/codecs.conf /home/stephen/.mplayer/
HappyTux:/home/stephen# chown stephen:stephen /home/stephen/.mplayer/codecs.conf

For fonts.desc

HappyTux:/home/stephen# mkdir /home/stephen/.mplayer/font
HappyTux:/home/stephen# cp /usr/share/mplayer/font/font.desc /home/stephen/.mplayer/font/
HappyTux:/home/stephen# chown stephen:stephen /home/stephen/.mplayer/font/font.desc
HappyTux:/home/stephen# chown stephen:stephen /home/stephen/.mplayer/font

windos_no_thanks
01-11-2004, 12:54 AM
Hmm, didn't think mplayer packages were allowed :-/
Anyway, I looked at the xine problem and it lead me straight into dependency hell (as it often does with just about any packaging system ;-) ) but I seem to have gotten xine to run using these commands:

apt-get -t unstable install xine-ui
wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/alsa-lib/libasound2_0.9.8-2_i386.deb
wget http://ftp.debian.org/pool/main/x/xine-lib/libxine1_1-rc3a-2_i386.deb
dpkg -i libasound2_0.9.8-2_i386.deb
dpkg -i libxine1_1-rc3a-2_i386.deb

I admit to not knowing much about the debian way of handling packages so this may be totally wrong but it got xine running again. (don't know if I broke something else in the process, didn't notice anything yet anyway)

windos_no_thanks
01-11-2004, 12:59 AM

Ah, they seem to have switched to the GPL so it is ok. Strange that I haven't noticed it before... :-D

Cuddles
01-11-2004, 03:24 PM
Windos_No_Thanks, perfect, getting Xine worked for me too...

Stephen, thanks also, another mplayer, in case Xine poops out again...

BTW, Windos_No_Thanks, you are soooo right about openning up a pandoras box... I was doing the apt-upgrade, and I had about 5 packages that couldn't be upgraded because of the libasound2 version. So, I went around them, and had them Kept Back. I had everything upgraded and no more updates -=- UNTIL I got that upgrade of libasound2...

NOW -=- shesh, I did the install of libasound2 for Xine to work, and now I've got about 244 packages reporting they can NOW be upgraded. Amazing how much one little package can hold back so many others...

Notably, the packages that were kept back, originally, by the version of libasound2 were:
k3b -=- cant install requires libasound2 v>0.9.8 and 0.9.3-2 is highest
kmix -=- cant install requires libasound2 v>0.9.8 and 0.9.3-2 is highest
konq-plugins -=- cant install requires libasound2 v>0.9.8 and 0.9.3-2 is highest

Oh well, and here I thought I was caught up, just goes to show, and as the ol' saying goes, "no rest for the wicked"...

Thanks again, both of you :D
Cuddles

windos_no_thanks
01-11-2004, 09:37 PM
Anyway, I looked at the xine problem and it lead me straight into dependency hell (as it often does with just about any packaging system ;-) ) but I seem to have gotten xine to run using these commands:

apt-get -t unstable install xine-ui
wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/alsa-lib/libasound2_0.9.8-2_i386.deb
wget http://ftp.debian.org/pool/main/x/xine-lib/libxine1_1-rc3a-2_i386.deb
dpkg -i libasound2_0.9.8-2_i386.deb
dpkg -i libxine1_1-rc3a-2_i386.deb

I admit to not knowing much about the debian way of handling packages so this may be totally wrong but it got xine running again. (don't know if I broke something else in the process, didn't notice anything yet anyway)
It did actually cause one more dependency problem, libasound2-dev also needs to be updated:

wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/alsa-lib/libasound2-dev_0.9.8-2_i386.deb
dpkg -i libasound2-dev_0.9.8-2_i386.deb

Cuddles
01-12-2004, 03:30 AM
Cool :D

Cuddles
BTW - you typo'ed in your dpkg line...
it should read:
:D just like the wget line shows :D

Not nit-picking you, just making the next person to do this a little less confused...
Thanks quadrillions Windos_No_Thanks
Cuddles

windos_no_thanks
01-12-2004, 03:49 AM
BTW - you typo'ed in your dpkg line...
it should read:
:D just like the wget line shows :D

Not nit-picking you, just making the next person to do this a little less confused...
Thanks quadrillions Windos_No_Thanks
Cuddles
Oops, sorry.
Fixed now, I fed the commands in a VNC window and didn't get the copy/paste working from it & thought I would be able to copy two lines by hand without fcsk:ing then up. Seems like I can't... ;-)

Dave_Bechtel
01-19-2004, 11:55 PM
--Note: When your system is working as expected and everything is to your liking, BACKUPS ARE YOUR FRIEND. :)

--Xine crapped out on me same way it did for you (they broke it.) I did the mistake of doing apt-get upgrade right before the Mars robot was about to land, and had to watch it on TV instead of streaming video. :(

Windos_No_Thanks, perfect, getting Xine worked for me too...

Stephen, thanks also, another mplayer, in case Xine poops out again...

BTW, Windos_No_Thanks, you are soooo right about openning up a pandoras box... I was doing the apt-upgrade, and I had about 5 packages that couldn't be upgraded because of the libasound2 version. So, I went around them, and had them Kept Back. I had everything upgraded and no more updates -=- UNTIL I got that upgrade of libasound2...

NOW -=- shesh, I did the install of libasound2 for Xine to work, and now I've got about 244 packages reporting they can NOW be upgraded. Amazing how much one little package can hold back so many others...

Notably, the packages that were kept back, originally, by the version of libasound2 were:
k3b -=- cant install requires libasound2 v>0.9.8 and 0.9.3-2 is highest
kmix -=- cant install requires libasound2 v>0.9.8 and 0.9.3-2 is highest
konq-plugins -=- cant install requires libasound2 v>0.9.8 and 0.9.3-2 is highest

Oh well, and here I thought I was caught up, just goes to show, and as the ol' saying goes, "no rest for the wicked"...

Thanks again, both of you :D
Cuddles

Cuddles
01-20-2004, 01:28 AM
Dave, good point, and with that point, as you might guess, comes a question...

Backups:
On my old system, I had two hard drives install, on a Win98 system, and used a "Clone" program to duplicate the whole drive. If a crash happened, I just pulled out the drive, and pointed the BIOS to the backup drive to activate it.

On my new system, I don't have the second hard drive, and I am not sure, but would think that any backup program for Linux should be backing up the whole partition, am I right?

I do have a CDRW on the new system, but considering that Linux is about 2.x gig of used drive space, it won't all fit on a single CD - approximately 700 meg, I think.

One other point is, when you consider a backup strategy, how does one recover the backup - recall that I am a newbie in the Linux World - so options and programs used for a backup/recovery are more than welcome suggestions here :D

Thanks Dave, and anyone else, for any ideas/strategies...
Cuddles

Dave_Bechtel
01-20-2004, 04:30 PM
--First off, I would highly recommend that *every* computer out there right now have at least two hard drives. One for regular use, and one for backups / storage. Anyhow...

--Backup scripts:

--This 1st one is an example of backing up critical files to a 100MB Zip drive; and is easily adapted for USB Thumbdrive or any other attached drive.

BEGIN bkpcrit

#!/bin/sh
# Backup critical files (hopefully)

dest='/mnt/zippy1'
mount $dest

[ -e "$dest/NOTHERE" ] && echo "$dest NOT MOUNTED" && exit 99

# "If" checking for NOTHERE file...

dest=$dest'/linux-p901-knopper32'
echo $dest = PK
read

mkdir $dest

# Copy this bkp script to zippy
cp $0 $dest
cp ~/localinfo.dat $dest

tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-ETC-debian.tar.gz /etc
tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-DEV-debian.tar.gz /dev
tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-rootbin-debian.tar.gz /root
tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-davesrc-debian.tar.gz /home/dave/src
tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-davebin-debian.tar.gz /home/dave/bin
tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-usr-local-debian.tar.gz /usr/local
tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-var-dpkg-status.tar.gz /var/lib/dpkg
tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-var-dpkg-backups.tar.gz /var/backups
#/var/adm/inst-log
# Dotfiles
cd /root
tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-root-dotfiles--restore-locally.tar.gz .[^.]*
cd /home/dave
tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-dave-dotfiles--restore-locally.tar.gz .[^.]*

tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-usr-src-cfgs.tar.gz /usr/src/*.cfg

ls $dest -al
df $dest
exit

Copyright (C) 1999, 2000 and beyond David J Bechtel

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.

The GNU Copyleft (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html)

--Restore is pretty simple, you ' cd / ' and ' tar xzvf /mnt/zippy/WHICH-ARCHIVE.tar.gz '.

--This next one is what I use for full system backups (Linux install). Only works if the whole system is on one partition ( / ), adapt if you have /usr , /var , or any other partitions mounted separately.

BEGIN bkpsys

#!/bin/bash

mount /dev/hda12 /mnt/bkps
cd /mnt/bkps/local/debian
ls -l

bkpfname='hdb1-knoppix-32-kernl2420--20030716'

# Cmd not found?
#debsort
dpkg -l >~/DEBInstalled.list

# XXX BACKUP DEB CACHE BEFORE RUNNING $0!!
#apt-get clean

echo '==Updatedb...'
time updatedb

echo '==Backing up...'
time tar \
--exclude=/mnt/* --exclude=/proc \
--exclude=/cdrom --exclude=/floppy \
--exclude=/.journal --exclude=/lost+found \
-cvf - / | \
gzip -9cv >$bkpfname.tar.gz

ls -l

--A couple of gotchas:
o On my system, every /mnt/blah dir has a NOTHERE file (' touch /mnt/blah/NOTHERE ') to indicate when nothing is mounted there. For instance if I'm using MC, and ' cd /mnt/drived ' - if nothing was mounted on /mnt/drived and there was no NOTHERE file, all you'd see is an empty directory -- and you might be strongly tempted to freak out right then, because where have all your files gone?? The NOTHERE file lets you know you just forgot to mount /mnt/drived.

o When restoring a full system backup (bkpsys) to a newly formatted partition, you need to ' mkdir /proc ' on that partition before rebooting, and also recreate all your mount points because they've been excluded. Fortunately I have a script for that as well, which BTW creates the NOTHERE file for you in the process:

BEGIN newmnt

#!/bin/sh

mkdir /mnt/$1
touch /mnt/$1/NOTHERE
ls -l /mnt/$1
echo PK to mount $1 (it should already exist in fstab)
read
mount /mnt/$1

o When you restore a full system backup, you will have to re-do lilo 1) After the restore finishes, and 2) Before you reboot. If, like me, you find that to be a big PITA, there's always ' syslinux ' and a floppy. :) You can actually re-use a Knoppix bootfloppy with your custom kernel and a syslinux.cfg script.

o These scripts must be run as root; mine are in /root/bin and I have root's $PATH modified to look there. If your box is reasonably secure, you can put them in /usr/local/bin and chmod 700 them.

o Don't forget to chmod +x the script after you save it, or it won't execute. ;)

--Best practice is to try these scripts on a testbox (fresh Knoppix hdinstall will work fine), trash the install, and attempt a restore. Then you know it works. :) Been there, done that, works for me.

Dave, good point, and with that point, as you might guess, comes a question...

Backups:
On my old system, I had two hard drives install, on a Win98 system, and used a "Clone" program to duplicate the whole drive. If a crash happened, I just pulled out the drive, and pointed the BIOS to the backup drive to activate it.

On my new system, I don't have the second hard drive, and I am not sure, but would think that any backup program for Linux should be backing up the whole partition, am I right?

I do have a CDRW on the new system, but considering that Linux is about 2.x gig of used drive space, it won't all fit on a single CD - approximately 700 meg, I think.

One other point is, when you consider a backup strategy, how does one recover the backup - recall that I am a newbie in the Linux World - so options and programs used for a backup/recovery are more than welcome suggestions here :D

Thanks Dave, and anyone else, for any ideas/strategies...
Cuddles