PDA

View Full Version : Problem Finding Partion on Installation process

MarcusLopes
01-10-2004, 10:45 PM
Hi everyone

I'm super new on Linux environment.... as a matter of fect I'm trying to intall it since yesterday.
I ran the command sudo knx-hdinstall and it took me into the cfdisk screen..... after I deleted the old partition and created a new one with a new table writen.... it goes to a screen were it ask me if I want to to swap the partition after I hit yes it says that the partition could not be found and terminates the script.

What are the steps I should take to fix this????

Thanks in advance,

Marcus

windos_no_thanks
01-10-2004, 11:04 PM
If you are going to use swap (always recommended unless you have a huge amount of RAM) you need to make two partitions, one for the filesystem and one for swap space. The one for the swap space should be type 82 (the default is 83) .

MarcusLopes
01-10-2004, 11:24 PM
Now I jus have one [ hda1 bootable Primary Linux 4300 mb] partition......
What do i have to do then???

thanks in advance

Marcus

windos_no_thanks
01-10-2004, 11:36 PM
You need another one (hda2 or hda5) for swap. If you used up all availabe space for hda1 you need to make it smaller first. How much RAM do you have and will you be fiddling with memory-intensive stuff ? (like openoffice)

MarcusLopes
01-11-2004, 01:28 AM
I kind of got all the way to the end of the installation... but now after I remove the cd and restart the computer it gives me a message saying
Not found any [Active partition] in HDD is that because of the fact that I set just one primary partion and none logical swap partition???? I have 384 mb of ram.

Tahnks

Marcus.

Ps.: Nice nick!!!

MarcusLopes
01-11-2004, 02:34 AM
Does anyone knows if there is a step by step turorial on this website here???

Thanks

Marcus

baldyeti
01-11-2004, 02:42 AM
Hi, it looks like you simply forgot to mark your boot partition (probably hda1) as active. Reboot off the cd (use "knoppix 2" to make it faster) then rerun cfdisk, and mark the relevant partition - and only that one - as bootable. If lilo had previously been correctly installed, your PC should now boot to your HD install.

MarcusLopes
01-11-2004, 02:52 AM
Do I need to create a swap or a logical partition????
I'm just using 384 of ram.

baldyeti
01-11-2004, 03:07 AM
I thought you had already installed, but simply could not boot?
If not, what size is your disk and is debian going to be your sole OS?

MarcusLopes
01-11-2004, 03:25 AM
yes.... debian is going to be my only OS.
my disk is 5 gb

i have debian insttaled but I was thinking that my computer wouldn't restart because i didn't create a logical partition.
Does that make sense????

Thanks

Marcus

baldyeti
01-11-2004, 03:31 AM
Did you check my previous tip? Is there a partition marked as bootable?

MarcusLopes
01-11-2004, 03:39 AM
Yes there is....

here is the information from the cfdisk!!
[ hda1 boot Primary Linux 4300 mb]

baldyeti
01-11-2004, 03:46 AM
Oh, but then hda1 should be bootable... Also what did you do with the remaining 700 Mb or so? Is it still there, unallocated yet?
You did go through the whole install, didn't you? Do you remember what you answered about installing lilo to the MBR?

MarcusLopes
01-11-2004, 04:04 AM
I'm reinstalling it again..... I'll let you know if it doesn't work and what is the lilo msg!!

Thanks

Marcus

MarcusLopes
01-11-2004, 04:12 AM
here is the msg after installation:

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 24 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
tune2fs 1.35-WIP (21-Aug-2003)
Copying files...Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0 OK.
cp: cannot stat `/etc/alternatives/soffice.*': No such file or directory
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes transferred in 0.018634 seconds (27476 bytes/sec)
Setting up boot loader (LILO)...
shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
Added Linux *
Skipping /vmlinuz.old

I hope it helps

Marcus

MarcusLopes
01-11-2004, 04:28 AM
Never mind yall..... I got it working!!!

I'm so happy!

You were right dude..... for some reason when I set as a bootable this time it worked!!!
I did the first time too.... but every time a ran the cfdisk it showed without the boot.

Anyways it is working now..... let me play a little bit with it and I'll come back with more questions
hehehehe

thanks

Marcus