PDA

View Full Version : installing while running knoppix 3.3 from cd

jojo
01-11-2004, 07:59 PM
hi, im having problems installing this:
Install Software How To
The Knoppix Live-Installer, its like with the flash-plugin but also for sim, gkrellm (!), tuxracer, tuxkart, sim and everything of course with a nice GUI.
Everything can be saved with an persistent home or with saveconfig.
Download
http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/live_inst/knx-live-inst-0.2.tar.gz
Instructions:
Unpack it, cd to dir, start it!
tar xzf knx-live-inst-0.2.tar.gz
cd knx-live-inst-0.2
./knx-live-inst.sh
THEN GO TO THE INSTALL NVIDIA DRIVER, I DO THIS JUST FINE BUT WHEN IT RESTARTS X KDE CANNOT RUN DUE TO "NOT ENOUGH MEMORY OR SO IT SAYS. i THINK THIS MEANS RAM, IF SO i HAVE 256MB IS THERE A WAY AROUND THIS DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM?

fingers99
01-12-2004, 01:15 AM
Never tried it, but I'd be inclined to think so! A workaround may be to create a swap partition on your HD and configure Knoppix to use it. (Half a gig should be fine).

jojo
01-13-2004, 07:06 AM
thanks fingers, but this doesnt work, I created a hda2 and made it a swap partition but but it just sits there empty. do I have to make it active? also how do i run. make install ?

windos_no_thanks
01-13-2004, 10:50 AM
It shoud be autodetected during the next boot (at lest if you are low on RAM)

Stephen
01-13-2004, 04:33 PM
thanks fingers, but this doesnt work, I created a hda2 and made it a swap partition but but it just sits there empty. do I have to make it active? also how do i run. make install ?

Did you use mkswap /dev/hda2 after creating the partition to actually make it a swap partition it is not enough to simply set the partition to type swap. If you do this from the CD after booting then use swapon -a to turn it on and have it in use (do not forget to use sudo in front of the commands when booted from CD).

jojo
01-15-2004, 05:43 PM
thanks for the help guys