PDA

View Full Version : Black screen...

Corallis
01-12-2004, 05:41 AM
Knoppix has been nothing but trouble for me so far. Finally though Ive gotten to the point where I can boot from the CD, and I get to the boot: screen. No matter what I type at this screen, the screen goes black, UNLESS I type failsafe. In that case, it just gives me a CRC error. I have no clue what that is, but maybe someone here does. Right now Im running Windows XP Home Edition on a Dell PC. The specs are:

2.0ghz Pentium 4 Processor
40gig harddrive
256ram
64mb NVidia Geforce4 MX w/ TV out
Liteon DVD+/-RW LDW-4115
Liteon DVD-Rom LTD163
Standard PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse
Cnet Pro200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

I have no idea what could be causing this problem, hopefully someone here might be able to help though. BTW, I am a comlpete newbie with Linux, this will be my first time ever using a distro.

UPDATE:

If I try booting with: "failsafe lang=us" then it gets to the part where it says "Uncompressing Linux..." then it gives me the CRC error, and it says System Halted. Then I have to reboot manually

UPDATE 2:

I tried reburning the image with Nero at a slower speed (8x as opposed to 32x the first time), but Im still getting the CRC error when I try to run in failsafe mode.

Corallis
01-12-2004, 07:25 AM
I just tried starting Knoppix inside VMWare, and it got me alot further when I booted from drive E: instead of drive D:. However, when I try to run it on my actual computer, it always just tries to boot from drive D. Is there any way I can change this?

baldyeti
01-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Try "knoppix testcd" at the boot prompt, it will check your media before actually booting. You will at least know if that's your problem.

fingers99
01-12-2004, 03:14 PM
After that, you might try disconnecting one of the CD/DVD devices temporarily. Beware of cabling and jumprering errors.