View Full Version : MSN Messenger on Linux

Wikt
01-12-2004, 03:37 PM
I have a problem..

I try to make Kmess-1.3. I do configuring properly and successfully, but when I

make
I get this after a longer while:

mimemessage.cpp:248: error: parse error before `(' token
mimemessage.cpp:251: error: `dwsrc' undeclared (first use this function)
mimemessage.cpp:251: error: `dwdest' undeclared (first use this function)
mimemessage.cpp:251: error: `DwDecodeQuotedPrintable' undeclared (first use
this function)
mimemessage.cpp: In member function `QCString MimeMessage::decodeBase64(const
QCString&) const':
mimemessage.cpp:264: error: parse error before `(' token
mimemessage.cpp:268: error: `DwDecodeBase64' undeclared (first use this
function)
make[2]: *** [mimemessage.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/ramdisk/home/knoppix/kmess-1.3/kmess/network'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/ramdisk/home/knoppix/kmess-1.3/kmess/network'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

:(
I really want to get a MSN messenger on Linux, to get contact with friends. But I just.. can't. Any help please?

clear_beast
01-13-2004, 03:28 AM
I would highly recommend AMSN (Alvaro's Messenger). It features multilanguage support, file transfers, new graphical interface, animated emoticons, multiple profiles support, dock icon, sound events, email notification, url processing, as well as support for user display pictures.

I use it all the time.

You can find it at : http://amsn.sourceforge.net/ or http://sourceforge.net/projects/amsn/

:D

Hope this helps!

Hunkah
01-13-2004, 05:27 AM
Get them to use Yahoo IM! Yahoo IM is awesome! It has a great reputation for not allowing spam and works great. MSN is always copying all Yahoo IMs ideas.

windos_no_thanks
01-13-2004, 10:56 AM
Get them to use Yahoo IM! Yahoo IM is awesome! It has a great reputation for not allowing spam and works great. MSN is always copying all Yahoo IMs ideas.
Well, at least their client software is buggy and you are tied to their servers. A Jabber enabled client (I think Psi is included in Knoppix) and an account on a Jabber server near you is a much better choice.

Hunkah
01-13-2004, 11:35 AM
What the heck is Jabber?! I don't think anyone uses that around here!!!

windos_no_thanks
01-13-2004, 11:47 AM
A little googling would have taken you here: http://www.jabber.org/ :-)
Some jabber servers can also forward messages to/from other services like yahoo or msn if you can't convince some of your friends to use it. I'm sure I'm not the only on who uses it, otherwise Klaus wouldn't have put clients for it into Knoppix :-D

aay
01-13-2004, 04:07 PM

Sorry but that's all I use. It's open. It's not tied to one central server, but users can still communicate to users on other Jabber servers. Encryption works great with Jabber on Kopete. BTW, I don't use MSN, but Kopete also supports that if the previous poster wants to give that a try. I know that not as many people use Jabber as AIM, Yahoo, and MSN, but it certainly has advantages over the others. You can even set up your own Jabber server for your intranet. Also most Jabber servers have plugins that let you communicate with AIM, Yahoo, and the like. You can get an account over at myjabber.net and try it out. You don't have to use their client (it's for Windows). You can log onto their server with any Jabber client (Gaim, Kopete, PSI etc)

Adam

david90schr
03-08-2004, 08:33 PM
I am very new with knoppix and i have installed on my harddisk. Its a very cool operating system. I use it now as my standard operating system. Its so cool , i really love it its maybe better then LINUX REDHAT that i ever had installed. But i need to install msn messenger. But i forgot what the .exe is in knoppix. Damn it, that really stinks. I forgot it because i used windows 2003 for a few months. I need help, please