PDA

View Full Version : supermount-ng

towjamb
01-13-2004, 04:17 PM
Friends,
I was wondering if supermount-ng kernel patch is being considered for upcoming releases of Knoppix?
http://supermount-ng.sourceforge.net/
Seems to work fine in Lindows' and Xandros' distros; CDs load and eject without a hitch -- nice.

Rick

probono
01-21-2004, 10:42 PM
I like the Idea! Did you ask Klaus Knopper?

towjamb
01-26-2004, 02:30 PM
Err ... no. I wasn't aware that I could ask Klause personally -- figured he scanned the forum once in a while for feedback. I'll look into this. Thanx.

Rick

aay
01-27-2004, 12:03 AM
Klaus has nothing to do with the management of Knoppix.net. He may look at things over here once in a while, but I think it's infrequent. You would do best to put in an email to the Knoppix developers list. I too think this would be a good idea though.

vmedina
02-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Knoppix don't come with automount? Try using it!
I had a talk with Marcelo Tossati (2.4.x kernell mantainer) and ask if it was going to be part of the new kernells, so for short he say that supermount was a hack an it is best to use automount.
We used to compile Kernells only to patch supermount inside and it is a lot of work, and Automount looks like don't need all this.

probono
02-15-2004, 03:41 PM
Knoppix don't come with automount?

Isn't removing drives dangerous when using automount? As I understood, supermount-ng always "flushes" the cache so that you can remove drives at any time, while automount doesn't.

And, how do I enable automount for all my drives easily?

aay
02-15-2004, 11:07 PM
Knoppix don't come with automount?

Isn't removing drives dangerous when using automount? As I understood, supermount-ng always "flushes" the cache so that you can remove drives at any time, while automount doesn't.

And, how do I enable automount for all my drives easily?

Exactly. Automount is a pain in the ass compared to supermount. This is still a good idea.

Superstoned
03-04-2004, 04:33 PM
I agree, I really think supermount should be included. easier than automount, nice automagical behaviour... which fits knoppix, imho.

probono
03-23-2004, 08:18 PM
SuSE seems also to go with it in their upcoming 9.1 release:

"For Linux veterans, the time has come to part with a Linux peculiarity many have become fond of: the mounting and unmounting of removable media. CDs and DVDs can now be ejected with a button click without having to unmount them manually. "

http://www.suse.de/en/private/products/suse_linux/preview/interview.html

probono
03-23-2004, 08:25 PM
It's also discussed with Kano for Kanotix... let's see who'll have it first...

aay
03-23-2004, 08:52 PM

Cool. I think this is something that would set Kanotix apart from Knoppix and it's derivatives. If Kano is for this and you get more info, please post it. Thanks.

Adam

Superstoned
03-24-2004, 02:49 PM

Cool. I think this is something that would set Kanotix apart from Knoppix and it's derivatives. If Kano is for this and you get more info, please post it. Thanks.

Adam

kanotix is already very cool, imho. getting better and better very quick.