PDA

View Full Version : Detecting motherboard type and name from within Knoppix?

tommydl
01-13-2004, 07:10 PM
Is it possible to somehow detect what kind of motherboard i have from within Knoppix?

It's a Siemens Scenic Pro D system with a Celeron 333Mhz and integrated ATI graphics.

All i've been able to find out by reading stuff in /proc/ is that it's got an LX/EX chipset.

I don't remember what i says on the POST screen, and i'm unable to reboot the system at the moment. And i can't open it up for now to read what is printed on the mb either.

stonent
01-13-2004, 07:29 PM
lspci will tell you the hardware.

windos_no_thanks
01-13-2004, 07:39 PM
lspci will tell you the hardware.
Add -v for more detail, or -vv for still more :-D

tommydl
01-14-2004, 08:19 AM
Thanks guys, I tried lspci, it gave a lot of information but nothing to help me identify the manufacturer of model. )=

I guess I'll just have to wait until i can open the box or reboot and see what the POST screen says.

scruffyeagle
03-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Is it possible to somehow detect what kind of motherboard i have from within Knoppix?

It's a Siemens Scenic Pro D system with a Celeron 333Mhz and integrated ATI graphics.
<snipped>

It's almost guaranteed that Knoppix wouldn't be able to determine the brand or model of the mainboard. It can probe the chips & add-on's, but the mainboard is the framework of copper current pathways & board everything else gets attached to; and a series of design choices, re. which chips & components to include in the finished loaded board; i.e., no data storage of its own, per se; therefore, no data for Knoppix to find, read, and report to you. What I mean by that, is that Knoppix can read data from the chips & relay that to you, but the board itself has no such data to be read. Determining the board from the particular combination of chips data sets would require a massive database - way beyond the size that could be included in a one-CD distro; very difficult to create, and even harder to keep up to date. The manufacturer might be able to provide mainboard make & model info via a product specs page, but more likely, the product specs page will just say what chips (etc.) have been used in the product. There are only two really effective tactics I can think of: One, is to contact Siemens support techs, and ask them. The other, it to open the computer and read the printed info off the board itself. Then, do a Google search using what you read. That might result in enough info to peg the manufacturer and model of the mainboard.

Hope this was helpful.

Scruffy

I did a little research, and here's a link for a Siemens contact page:
http://usa.siemens.com/index.jsp?sdc_rh=null&sdc_flags=null&sdc_sectionid=0&sdc_secnavid=0&sdc_3dnvlstid=&sdc_countryid=194&sdc_mpid=0&sdc_unitid=999&sdc_conttype=4&sdc_contentid=1394638&sdc_langid=1&sdc_pnid=&

Oh - I should mention that the first time I visited Siemens, I was using Netscape and it locked up my browser to the point where I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del to end the process. Using IE survived their .jsp page, and let me proceed to do other stuff.