PDA

View Full Version : How to Get the lilo and fstab working

wildcat2083
01-13-2004, 09:59 PM
I am using the new version of Knoppix and i have read the instructions on how to install the OS on to the partition of my choosing...after setting up a partition I booted with the CD and followed the instructions on how to put the OS on my HD...I get stuck on step 3 when I am told how to set up the fstab and the lilo, I dont know how to do this. I would appreciate some assistance...thanks 8)

rickenbacherus
01-13-2004, 11:23 PM
I have never seen directions that mention setting up fstab. Where are they located? fstab should be set up automatically for you. lilo can be installed in mbr if you want a menu from which to choose your OS or in /root if you wish to use a floppy or other boot loader to start linux.

wildcat2083
01-14-2004, 01:02 AM
The Cd actually gives steps on how to set up the CD with the HD it is located in the Faq Qand A on the index that loads when the cd is first run...however I did read a post today that lets me install the os with a script...however kde hangs when it is installed on the HD...the whold CD is good it was checked before I ever used it....mabey I'm not doing something right

rickenbacherus
01-14-2004, 01:23 AM
The Cd actually gives steps on how to set up the CD with the HD it is located in the Faq Qand A on the index that loads when the cd is first run...however I did read a post today that lets me install the os with a script...however kde hangs when it is installed on the HD...the whold CD is good it was checked before I ever used it....mabey I'm not doing something right

I haven't seen the latest Knoppix i guess. I still don't know what you're referring to. Anyway...it sounds like your problem is no longer fstab or lilo but KDE. Where/how does KDE hang exactly? There is a splash screen that loads just before KDE comes up. Is it in the splash screen that it hangs? What did you use to install knoppix with? I prefer knoppix-installer.

wildcat2083
01-14-2004, 01:38 AM
The system hangs after the cd is installed right at the beginning of x-windows loading up, or when I access the root or user...I enter my passwords and kde starts then freezes...I am reading the posts and am going to try this again with the new command lines.....ill also cut and paste the q and a to show you what I was reering to eariler------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Can one also install the distribution from the CD onto a hard drive?

A: In principal, yes (after all, the "master" system also runs on a hard
drive before it is burned to CD). However there is currently no
installation GUI for this, so installation to a hard drive should probably
only be attempted by more knowledgeable Linux users. Assuming the KNOPPIX
system has already booted, installation approximately follows this
procedure:
1.) initialize a free partition with the ext2 file system and mount it on
/mnt/knoppix, for example.
2.) cp -a /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/knoppix/
3.) set up /mnt/knoppix/etc/fstab and /mnt/knoppix/etc/lilo.conf for the
new system (Caution: symlinks in /boot initially point to the Ram
disk!), run lilo.
4.) mkdir /mnt/knoppix/home/knoppix && \
chown knoppix.knoppix /mnt/knoppix/home/knoppix
5.) Reboot, try the system out, fix any broken settings.
(No guarantees.)

this is the q and a form

rickenbacherus
01-14-2004, 04:41 AM
ahhh now I see. You are using some very old instructions as there is now a GUI for installling Knoppix.

sudo knoppix-installer