PDA

View Full Version : DHCP works then it DOES NOT WORK

dugstratton
01-14-2004, 12:49 AM
:(
Here is a quick summary of what is going on.

I am using Knoppix V3.3 11.14.

Boot on any of my two machines (totally different) the first time and I get an IP address from the DHCP server.

Shut down and restart can't get an IP address from the DHCP server.

I talked with our router guys and so far they have not found out why the router/DHCP is marking the IP address as unavailable.

I have to get the "DHCP record" re enabled to get an ip address. Same thing happens again.

I have not included any HW info on the routers because I don't know what they are. I did not include machine info, as it seems to do it on 2 totally different pc's.

This does not happen with any other OS on these PC's.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

hogamaster
01-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Hi, just had the same problem as you and thanks to the good support dude i was directed to when i called my ISP i think i can give you the answer to this question.

The problem is at this knoppix or pump or whatever tries to request two ip's at the same time. This would lead to a conflict if you're having a finite set of IP's to get from your ISP. So you're getting none.

I tried "pump -i eth0" while talking with him on the phone and he said "ok, now youre requested two ip's i see". I was like "huh, no? just one". and after a little forth and back we drawed the conclusion that it must be my DHCP request thats a little fucked. Maybe its just a conf file in linux that does this, i dunno know. Just tried knoppix a few days ago and the brain stumbling, headatache began. Im so happy that i now is back on the net and hopefully everyone with the same problem can learn from this experience.

So the thing you should do is call your ISP and tell them to release your IP's and boot up in another OS or fix the bug/misbehaviour of knoppix's DHCP request of two IP's.

dugstratton
01-15-2004, 08:22 PM
So you are saying I am hooped then. I can't be always having to call my isp to ask them to release my IP address.

My ISP did some tracing also and said that (I don't know the terms) we have two DHCP servers. The IP I am asking for is supposed to be managed by the one DHCP server but for some reason the other DHCP server is pinging (after KNOPPIX doing a discovery a few times) and finding that I have an ip address (from the other server) and marking the ip address unusable.

We have a little odd setup where the IP address is provided by a DHCP server but it is assigned to a specific machine.

So if there is anyone out there that has a solution for this let me know please. We really want to get this working.

hogamaster
01-15-2004, 08:30 PM
just thought of something, have no idea if its it.

but i recall that in the file "interfaces" in etc/init.d or etc/network i had
iface lo, eth0
i dont recall the rest but maybe the problem is that youre having two interfaces or something. maybe u can try to cut out lo and try then..