PDA

View Full Version : Once again: PCMCIA-CDROM

kea
01-14-2004, 11:23 AM
Hi everybody! This is my first post here and my English isn't really fluent, so please be forgiving .... :)
OK, Facts first. It's a old Compaq Laptop. P133, 80MB RAM, 2G HDD. No internal CDROM. Obsolete BIOS.
The PCMCIA-CDRW is a Sony CRX75A (supported by ide-cs in 16bit-mode only).
So I tried the PCMCIA-Bootdisks from www.luell.com and almost made it to the console I need to install
Gentoo on that box. Yeah, almost. Here the output:

Loading PCMCIA modules...
Starting cardmanager...
cardmanager [12]: get dev info on socket 0 failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM at /dev/hdc.../modules/cloop.o: init_module:
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid
IO and IRQ parameters

Damned, I can hear the CDRW spin up ... but no go. lsmod looks like that:

knoppix# lsmod
ide-cs 3140 1
ds 6344 2 [ide-cs]
i82092 6488 0 (unused)
i82365 12388 2
pcmcia_core 39488 0 [ide-cs ds i82092 i82365]
knoppix#

Hmm, looks quite OK. I haven't specified any parameters, maybe I should have done so?
/etc/pcmcia/config is OK too. Did I miss something? Any help from you guys (and girls)
would be very appreciated...

yours kea

znmeb
01-14-2004, 03:59 PM
What I did on my old laptop was install the base "Woody" from boot floppies and the PCMCIA CD-ROM, then copy the Knoppix CD to a hard disk partition and boot it from there with a Knoppix boot floppy. However, I have a 6 GB hard drive and you only have a 2 GB hard drive. I forget exactly how big the base "Woody" install is, but you should have room for it and a 768 MB CD image.