PDA

View Full Version : newbie/ question-i tried searching for help but no avail

guardianx
01-14-2004, 03:53 PM
salutation all .

i i'm a total newbie to linux and i have some of the very basic question to ask
i manage to install knoppix 3.3 into my hd....

1. how do i download file to another drive.
for example i install knoppix on drive c and i wish to download a file from the internet to drive e.
i seee drive e on the desk top but i dont see it when the download dialog is open .. i went to the desktop and all i see is the trash folder. i'm using kde

2. i know this question might not be the best place to get the ans but since i'm here why not give it a shot. how do i install a program. right now i'm trying to install azures ( a bitorent client for linux ). better yet if there is a better bitorent client with a ez installation method then please tell me about it. where can i get the bitorent packet for deb. i went to the offical bitorent place and they link to the deb packet is not working.

3 i'm trying to find a website that will further my understanding for the linux operating system.

Tia
chad

fingers99
01-14-2004, 06:16 PM
You (often) won't see the desktop icon as a download option. But, if the drive is mounted, you'll be able to click back to /mnt where you'll see the drive listed as /hda /hdb or whatever. You can then open this up and decide where to download to.

HTH. It's actually quite difficult to describe without pictures (or knowing what you're downloading from).

m_yates
01-14-2004, 07:12 PM
A good starting point for Linux information is here:

http://www.linuxbasis.com/howtos.html

I also highly recommend the following guide called "rute" for more in depth information:

http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz

To install programs, it depends on the format of the program. If you can find a program in binary as a .deb file, it is the easiest way to install. Simply type, as root:

dpkg -i <program name>.deb

If the program is in .tar.gz format, uncompress it with:

tar -xzvf <program name>.tar.gz

Then you can take a look at the uncompressed files. Most programs have a README that describes how to install.

Make sure you have your other drive mounted. For examble:

mount -t vfat /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1

Will mount a windows fat32 partition that is located on the first partition of the secondary (slave) hard drive.