PDA

View Full Version : i can't access my windows partition or my 2nd cd

Chris
02-10-2003, 06:25 AM
ok, first off, this is all using konquerer

ok, well under mnt it has folders of hda 1 through 3, the linux partition being 3, and all ofd the folders r empty. i was able to right click, hit "create new" > "hard drive..." and under the device tab i could only select /dev/hda3 and that allowed me to access what i already could, the linux partition. i couldn't get the hda1, windows, which was an empty folder under mnt. when i used knoppix from cd, it always had the icons on the decktop, now it doesn't have any.... i'm so lost...

please help

George Wiedmann
02-11-2003, 08:29 AM
I am just getting started with Knoppix. I checked /etc/fstab file and the references to the other drives(like hda1) are commented out. So to get access to your other hard drives, use your favorite text editor, remove the "#" in front of the dives you want to activate. You will probibly want to change some of the options after the vfat entry on the line. To find out about these options run "man fstab" in a console. Hope this helps, I have not played with fstabs for a while or I would give you better instructions

oscar
02-11-2003, 07:32 PM
ok, first off, this is all using konquerer

ok, well under mnt it has folders of hda 1 through 3, the linux partition being 3, and all ofd the folders r empty. i was able to right click, hit "create new" > "hard drive..." and under the device tab i could only select /dev/hda3 and that allowed me to access what i already could, the linux partition. i couldn't get the hda1, windows, which was an empty folder under mnt. when i used knoppix from cd, it always had the icons on the decktop, now it doesn't have any.... i'm so lost...

please help

to have discs icons in the desktop
drag /mnt/hda1 over the desktop and then choose 'make a link here'
to view folders of /dev/hda1 write in a console
mount /dev/hda1

edit /etc/fstab if you know how but there is a menu way of doing this

in a console type (after conecting internet)
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install linuxconfig

the run
linuxconfig
chose filesystems
chose one (for ex. /dev/hda1) and then unmark "no mount at start up'
accept