PDA

View Full Version : please help!!!

jojo
01-14-2004, 08:40 PM
hi, I have win98 as my primary OS, but I am running knoppix 3.3 cd. I am trying to make a swap partition, I'm using fdisk to do so, but I think windoz is taking up too many cylinders. I should only have 1024, but it is taking up 4865 starting with 1. I try to create another partition in both qtparted, and fdisk, qt doesnt let me do anything while fdisk says, primary partitions 1-4 are already defined and same thing with my extended 1-4. I only have 1 partition on my computer which in hda1 any ideas would be appreciated.

baldyeti
01-14-2004, 09:39 PM
Have you been trying cfdisk ("sudo cfdisk" from the command line). If windows is taking all your disk space, you will need to shrink your C: unit before you can create a new partition. Qtparted should be able to do that. There may be something broken with your partition table, though, given what you're reporting. Can you post the output of fdisk -l ?

jojo
01-14-2004, 09:58 PM
I would like to print the output but I don't know how. I tried to paste it here but I guess this isn't possible is there another way or do I have to type it myself.

baldyeti
01-14-2004, 10:23 PM
If you're accessing this site from knoppix, you can directly cut and paste the output from a terminal window into konqueror/mozilla. Otherwise, capture the output by redirecting ("sudo fdisk -l >/tmp/xyz")

jojo
01-14-2004, 10:50 PM
Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 4865 39078081 c W95 FAT32 (LBA) ^
^
^
thats wierd Im running win98 but this says win95 --------^
any way here it is, couldnt paste it erlier because I was root.

baldyeti
01-14-2004, 11:04 PM
So it looks like you've only got one primary partition defined -hda1- taking roughly all the space. Did you have better luck with cfdisk than the other ones? Actually qtparted was probably unable to create a swap partition since there's no room left. It should allow you to shrink hda1 first,, then create new partition(s) with the freed space. It could take some time if qtparted has to compact your fat32 filesystem before being able to free blocks at the end of the existing partition. As with any partitioning task, you might want to start with taking backups ;-)

fingers99
01-14-2004, 11:19 PM
I'd be inclined to back up anything "important" (assuming you have Windows and the associated software on CDs, this'll just be data files) and then run a full scandisk and defrag on Windows before trying resizing (an undefragged 9* Windows will simply have sprayed files higgledy-piggledy all over the partition, which makes it almost impossible to re-size).

Then try again. A side effect should be that Windows runs faster!

jojo
01-15-2004, 05:41 PM
thank you guys for the help, But I finally found out enough info on hdinstall's to do it thanks to you and RUTE-highly recommended for newbies by newbies such as myself. I sucessfully set up a dual boot system running deb :) and win98 :( without losing any of my info. thanks again