PDA

View Full Version : Problem with graphics

rookworm
01-15-2004, 07:26 AM
Knoppix runs fine on my system, except that certain programs that use a lot of graphics (i.e. games) run extraordinarily slowly (<1 fps) everything else appears fine.

Just curious to know if there is a fix for this. I have the same problem with other live Cd's so it probably has something to do with my system....

I am using a Voodoo3 2000 by the way.

Thanks!

rookworm
01-20-2004, 01:41 AM
anybody?

sn0wflake
01-20-2004, 08:44 PM
What applications are you experiencing difficulty with?

Cuddles
01-21-2004, 04:11 AM
rookworm,

I am guessing, a specific game I have that is "snail" speed is: Chromium, or any of the "Arcade" games that expect 3d acceleration video cards. Considering that my motherboard mounted video card is more likely the "low-end" of any video card, and that is "shares" video memory with the system memory, that this is the cause for my "slow" games.

My older system had a motherboard mounted video card, and I installed a ATI All-In-Wonder, PCI video card, with 8 meg of ram on the board - and the games were nicely running then. I also installed Knoppix to the Hard Drive.

Considering my new system, I have also installed Knoppix to the Hard Drive, but am still using the motherboard video card, and the games mentioned above are still running at a "crawling" speed. Sometime, when I get up the money, I'll go for another AGP card slot video card, and probably the games above will run more like they are intended.

Hopefully this helps,
Cuddles

champagnemojo
01-21-2004, 05:16 AM
Yeah...before I installed the nvidia drivers for my card games like tuxracer looked more like moving pictures than a video game. Now it runs smoothly. Maybe there are linux drivers for your card somewhere?