PDA

View Full Version : HPze4145+acpi crashes at compilation

megacasperxxx
01-15-2004, 10:18 AM
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the nice posts on the server, they really helped me a lot. I have a HPze4145 laptop with a hd-install of Knoppix 3.3 20031119 installed on it. As the fan is going crazy, my only aim nowadays is to get the acpi running. Here comes my problem: I tried to patch and recompile the kernel many many times using all the techniques that have been proposed on the forum. Whichever one I follow, after setting my new .config file, when I start compiling, it works for 5-6 minutes and then comes the INSTANT crash which leaves me clueless of what went wrong.
This acpi is very important for me as i'm afraid to find a mixture of hot metal and plastic on my desk one day, it's getting real hot :) Anyway, any help will be much appreciated.
bEsT,
megacasperxxx

windos_no_thanks
01-15-2004, 10:27 AM
Crashes during kernel compilation are usually signs of hardware problems (defective memory , overheating etc...)

windos_no_thanks
01-15-2004, 10:32 AM
At least some laptops can be forced into "battery mode" (slower CPU clock) in the BIOS. If that is possible in your machine you might try it.

megacasperxxx
01-15-2004, 11:28 PM
At least some laptops can be forced into "battery mode" (slower CPU clock) in the BIOS. If that is possible in your machine you might try it.
Thanks windos_no_thanks,
Unfortunately, I don't have that option. My memory seems to be alright but it is definitely overheating while compiling. I had read in the forum that you could take the laptop HD out and compile the kernel on a different computer with that HD. Now, would it make sense to compile my 2.4.22 kernel on my AMD Athlon XP processor desktop (like my laptop) even though the desktop has a 2.4.20 kernel? I mean can i just download and compile the kernel on the desktop with the laptop's config file and just transfer the .deb file back to my laptop?
Sorry, if it is a ridiculous suggestion. :)

Stephen
01-15-2004, 11:49 PM
Thanks windos_no_thanks,
Unfortunately, I don't have that option. My memory seems to be alright but it is definitely overheating while compiling. I had read in the forum that you could take the laptop HD out and compile the kernel on a different computer with that HD. Now, would it make sense to compile my 2.4.22 kernel on my AMD Athlon XP processor desktop (like my laptop) even though the desktop has a 2.4.20 kernel? I mean can i just download and compile the kernel on the desktop with the laptop's config file and just transfer the .deb file back to my laptop?
Sorry, if it is a ridiculous suggestion. :)

That is how you would do it take the source for the kernel ( I would suggest 2.4.24) unpack it on your desktop machine compile the .deb for it choosing the proper options and move and install on the laptop. BTW you should compile and install the kernel_headers as well you will not have a source tree unpacked on the laptop in the /usr/src/linux directory for the kernel you will be running, so any source that you compile that needs the headers will not find them and do not forget to ln -s /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.?? /usr/src/linux after having installed the headers.