PDA

View Full Version : CD ROM not accesible after hdinstall, thank u!

ricardomardi
01-15-2004, 03:03 PM
I love knoppix, & I'm a complete noobie, I tried to go through all the posts to find an answer b4 I posted now.

I installed Knoppix to my 40GB hdd but
my CD rom is not accesible, I can see the desktop icon for it but when I click it tells me that it doesn't exist.

I know it's just not pointing to the correct device, but I don't know how exactly to correct this, I woould be extremely greatfull if anyone can show me how to fix this.

I love Linux more every day, & I want to help others install it onto their PCs, but I have to do some hard work & learn as fast as I can.

Thank you in advance!

R.

violinist
01-15-2004, 07:38 PM
can you tell more about your hardware setup?
i.e:
do you have one cd-rom drive?
is it scsi or ide?
give a look at /etc/fstab for a cdrom entry

and last:
did you put a cd in the drive? :)

give more details and we will try to help

fingers99
01-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Can you post your /etc/fstab?

johnb
01-17-2004, 04:12 AM
Try:

mkdesktophdicons -s -v

johnb

ricardomardi
01-17-2004, 01:50 PM
Hi All, Thank you so much for trying to help, sorry for the delay:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
Violinist, I've got 2x IDE CD ROms hooked up to an Asus board with an Athlon XP 1500 cpu. One of my CD ROMs is a slave to my 40GB HDD.

Sure, I did check I had a CD inside the CD ROMs, the msg I get when I click on the CD ROM icon is:

"Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/mnt/cdrom does not exist."

I've installed knoppix on 4x different PCs & all had the same issue above.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

HI Fingers!! Thank you for your help, here's what you asked me to do:

# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda2 / ext2 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda5 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
Hi Jhonb, thank you for the command, I tried it & it let me access my Windows HD1 that I couldn't access b4, thank you. But I still cant access my CD ROM, I'm probably just missing something small.

fingers99
01-17-2004, 03:35 PM
What happens if you right click on the icon and select "mount" -- put something in the drive first?

Markus
01-17-2004, 03:48 PM
You could do"cat /var/log/syslog" and see where your cd-drives are attached to.

Mine are in the fstab:
dev/scd0 /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/scd1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0

scd0 could also be sr0 in some systems, same for scd1 and so on...

You as user should also be part of the cdrom group:
As root:$adduser yourloginhere cdrom

This thread might help you:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6945#31456

EDIT: You also have to make a symbolic link for cdrom:
root$ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom

Stephen
01-17-2004, 07:37 PM
Sure, I did check I had a CD inside the CD ROMs, the msg I get when I click on the CD ROM icon is:

"Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/mnt/cdrom does not exist."

I'm probably just missing something small.

Yes you are the link in the icon is messed up just delete the icon from the Desktop and create a new one with the proper link and while your at it do the same for the floppy it is the same way as well. And I second the advice about changing to /dev/scd0 & 1 for the CD's in the /etc/fstab do this before making the icons. And do not forget to ln -s /dev/scd1 /dev/cdrom1 ln -s /dev/scd1 /cdrom1 and ln -s /dev/scd0 /cdrom in addition to the above suggestion in the Edit.

ricardomardi
01-18-2004, 03:36 AM
Hi Stephen & Markus, thanks for the info, I'm almost there, but sorry, I just don't know how to edit the fstab files, I tried to use VIM but it didn't save the file changes.

I'm really a noobie & I'm trying not to waste your good advice, I'll see if I can figure it out before you (if you reply) reply to this post.

Thanks again for your help.
R.

fingers99
01-18-2004, 03:46 AM
I just don't know how to edit the fstab files, I tried to use VIM but it didn't save the file changes.

Well, getting to grips with vim is both important and pretty difficult: being an idle swine, I usually use gvim!

But if you're not in console mode (that's to say, if you can see your desktop) then you can open a Konsole and type

su
(enter root password)
kate /etc/fstab

which will give you a simple graphical editor (a sort of -- vastly -- improved notepad). You should be OK with that.

ricardomardi
01-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Hi all,
I managed to reinstall knoppix differently this time, Instead of knx-hdinstall, I did knoppix-installer.
This time it correctly linked my DVD & CD-RW.

I wonder why knoppix correctly linked my CDs & Fdd this time round, I know that knoppix-installer is a different process.

I coppied the fstab from the new install so that you can see the difference to the first one I copied off the fstab from the non working install earlier.

# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/auto/cdrom1 auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=kno ppix 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda6 none swap defaults 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0

Thank you all for your help, I've learnt a lot since my last post. Thanks again!
R.

dutch noob
01-25-2004, 01:49 AM
i had excactly the same problems but after reading this tread and saw knoppix-installer solved ur problems i tried it to and voila everything works fine now :lol: :D

ricardomardi
01-25-2004, 03:55 AM
Hi Dutch noob,

Thanks for the note, it's funny that I actualy helped you while I was acting like a blind man without a cane!

It's a great feeling to work out issues in Linux.
Even if we're noobs, it's only a matter of time b4 we start to get a good grip & start helping others on board this Great Linux spaceship, perseverence is the word!

Good like to you Dutch, & many thanks to all the you guys who helped me!

Ricardo
(Down under)

ricardomardi
01-25-2004, 04:15 AM
Hi all,

Just a thought, I do a final install of Knoppix after I've experimented with a spare HDD. This way I can totaly screw up & install without any fear or stress of crippling my main HDD & actualy learn a lot more that way than if I nervously tried to "get it right" the first time I install.

I use a spare 12gb notebook hdd, cause I'm a laptop motherboard technician & have spare parts to play with.

My attitude to learning Linux is, don't over do it, if you can't figure out a problem, just sleep on it, the answer will come. Treat it like play & you'll always enjoy it.

And always look at how far you've come, instead of how far you have to go. After all, you're playing with Debian, & that's got to be the best Linux to learn with.

Good luck to all!
R.

dutch noob
01-25-2004, 01:00 PM
yeah its hard to do some thing with linux but when u keep trieing and playing with it u learn it afterall

and i am glad we got so much support from other linux user they r to kind
and i hope in the near future i am posting things that can help other people :) with there problems ;)

but i still find it weird that when u instal knx with knx-hdinstall it not link the cd roms correctly and when u instal it with knoppix-installer it does ?

but oke there r lots of thing that i dont understand yet but iv got lots of time to learn it :)

and yes i am a total noob :D