PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me after upgrading hard drive install?

atko
01-16-2004, 10:48 AM
I have upgraded my system after installing to hard drive. To upgrade I used Synaptic Software Manager. After the install of the packages I rebooted the system and during boot up get error as follows;

britty(548): Opened device /dev/ttys0 is not a tty!
britty(548): TSI Driver giving up.

This repeats itself over and over again indefinitely at the root prompt. If I am quick enough I can press enter and type in startx and X will start and load into KDE. Can anyone help me with this error and advise if I need to configure/remove or update anything else to correct this?

Thanks in anticipation.

johnb
01-16-2004, 04:22 PM
Hi I ran into the same thing do an apt-get dist-upgrade. It seems to only happen for me on my laptop. I am assuming its some kind of keyboard device/braille/monitor. I did a Ctrl+C. That gives you temporary break from the screen filling up with the same errors but better is a prompt. Type

kill 548

or what ever the process id number is for me it was 393
If you dont type it in time and brltty starts runnin again. You can usually ignore the monitor and focus on you fingers by typing it exactly right.
As long as we are at the command line type
su
apt-get remove brltty

That should do it.
Its good to know that I will be still able to surf the net if I ever lose my sight.
Good luck
johnb