PDA

View Full Version : I could run Knoppix 3.1 but not 3.3

BarrySamuels
01-16-2004, 04:05 PM
I have an LSI SCSI card which requires the sym53c8x.o module. I have version 3.1 of Knoppix together with the above module on a floppy. This works well.

I have downloaded version Knoppix 3.3 and have a 2.4.22 kernel module as mentioned above. However after the module is loaded and although the CD-ROM activity light comes on I get the dreaded 'Cannot find Knoppix filesystem' and am dumped into a shell.

The CD boots perfectly well on both my other computers.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

eyeball2
01-19-2004, 08:04 AM
Please see the boot trick I've sent to lil_slice on the 19th; hope this helps...
:shock:

BarrySamuels
01-19-2004, 10:30 PM
I think that you have mis-understood my problem.

The Knoppix CD will boot. Yhe SCSI module for my card will load but the Knoppix filesystem is then not found even though the CD activity light comes on supposedly indicating that the CD drive is found.

Thanks for your efforts.

alex52
02-04-2004, 10:46 PM
I also have close problem with only one IDE HDD.
Peanut-9.5, Fedora, and Knoppix-3.2 have no such problems, but Knoppix-3.3 refuses to accept HD during booting, and next, fdisk and cfdisk says: No partition table, and all HDD is free. So, mount, remount do not see HD either and says “Can’t find file system on …” Although, CDROM and USB CDRW work.

Only CD booted Knopix-3.3 has in /proc/kmsg

<4>hda: host protected area => 1
<3>hda: drive not ready for command
<6>VFS: can’t find ext2 filesystem on dev ide0(3,1,2,3)

As only Knoppix-3.3 has this problem, its looks like that vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs causes it. I never set any passwords or any in this PC.
What is a problem? How to overwrite it?? If I’ll find it I’ll post it here

Look in you /proc/kmsg for this. May be this is common for Knoppix-3.3 problem. If so, we should contact Knoppix authors.

Best, Alex